AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pioneer elite VSX-26TX Sorry for the Question but I can not seem to get DD 5.1 out from any sat brodcasts. I do not have any problem geting 5.1 out of my DVD player with (optical cable)but not out of my sat receiver all I get is stereo. I have also tried using a Toshiba STB-3000 with a optical out into my amp and still could not get 5.1. how does anyone else have theirs wired. what am I doing wrong? Thanks Mike

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have both a DST-3000 and an RCA-Ultimate Direct TV PVR. While I currently do not have the DST-3000 hooked up for sending the proper signals to my amp (and I cannot comment on Band of Brothers), the RCA is connected via optical. On those select broadcasts marked with the Dolby symbol, I do get a Dolby Digital signal along with a corresponding improvement in audio quality.

I do note that *sometimes* (but not very often) the Direct TV program will be listed with a Dolby symbol, but I do not get a Dolby D signal...

I will have my DST-3000 optical output hooked up later this week. I will see if I can get BofB in Dolby D.

dL

·
Registered
838 Posts
With my DTC-100 hooked up via optical, I do see DD5.1 on some HBO movies. Meet the Parents is one I know for sure that's 5.1. The majority of the time, HBO is DD 2.0 (DPL). I have my DTC-100 set to "Auto select".

·
Registered
994 Posts
All good points regarding set-up. I'll just add that some of the older DSS receivers do have digital audio outputs, but won't pass the Dolby Digital signal. (The Sony SAT-A3 is an example.) Hopefully that's not true of any of the current models.

I've also noticed that the guide isn't always correct when it says that a program has a Dolby Digital audio program.

In addition to HBO, STARZ also carries some DD movies. I'm not sure about Showtime.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am a subscriber to Dish and have their 6000 HD receiver that is tied to my Denon 3802 receiver. Their movies are mostly stereo with an increasing amount of DD5.1 tracks. I set the receiver to auto so I can see what it detects. Most are stereo that I play using DPL II or DD5.1. Band of Brothers is an example of a DD5.1 track that is excellent for sat reception.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
DD Channels on DirecTV:

HBO E&W

Starz

Some PPV movies

HD channels also are in DD:

HD Net

HBO HD

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.