AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get a good 5.1 system for under $500, I have seen some Polk, AR,even Harmon Kardon systems for less then$500 any good

or no.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Including subwoofer and receiver? not a chance IMHO. Those that are out there suck.

I am sure many people will reply that yes those systems are decent, but IMO they are wrong. Anything that calls itself a subwoofer and has an 8inch driver is a joke.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
The inaccuracies are so bad, it's amazing they try to sell them and more amazing that they do. The last few tests I've seen were awful. Of course, because magazines are out to make money, they got great reviews. You could assemble something used fairly easily, however. Last years $1000 systems should be about $500.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The Acoustic Research HC6 5.1 system is available from Accessories 4 Less ( www.ac4l.com ) for $449.95 w/ free shipping. I have heard it and it's a good system for the price. The bookshelves reproduce music fairly well and don't have the harshness or brightness that many other 5.1 in a box solutions that are available in this price range. I think they would serve you well in a small to moderately sized the room or possibly even in a larger setting given that you don't need it to reproduce music and or movies at high volumes. The sub doesn't play as deep or as loud as more expensive offerings, but is by no means a bad unit and is about as accurate as any other offering in this price range. I'm not going to delude you by saying that it is as good as subwoofer and bookshelf packages costing 3x more or other such mumbo jumbo that people on this forum and in review magazines throw out on a regular basis, but for the price that they are selling it for and at the price range you are looking at, I think you would be hard-pressed to find better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.