AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a IXOS subwoofer cable and have a question. It appears that the cable has arrows pointing in one direction and I, like an idiot, didn't notice until I had run the full 12M above and around my whole living room, that the arrows now point away from the sub. Does anyone think this makes a difference. Are cables unidirectional?

I would try to reverse the direction to see if I hear a difference, but it is a pain. If people tell me that it makes a difference, I will do so.

-Brett

·
Registered
836 Posts
The audio portion af the cable is not directional. Meaning you can hook it up any which way you want.

Is there a small wire at one end of the cable?

usually this wire is used to ground the cable and reduce noise.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info about the audio portion not being unidirectional. There is no ground wire. Just for my curiousity, what portion of the wire is unidirectional, if not the audio portion?

-Brett

·
Registered
836 Posts
Usually there is a wire that you ground out...or so I have been told. Never seen one before. It isn't directional, so much as it needs to have one end attached to the reciever for noise reduction purposes.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The arrow indicates that the cable has a floating ground, and should point away from the sub out on the receiver towards the the sub.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Russ,

Is this "floating ground" analagous to the shielding only being connected at one end?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.