AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From reading here and other places, would I be wrong in concluding that a subwoofer will more likely breakdown than ones other speakers?

If so it could be wiser to purchase a sub that is easily returned locally (probably even a little more so if you live in Canada). Unfortunately that now limits choices. I was thinking along the lines of some of the popular sold by internet choices. Now I might have to instead look at something like the Paradigm pw-1200. Not that it is probably not a good sub, just that it isn't one of my first choices.

·
Registered
434 Posts
That is correct , earlier this year my little PDR 10 started rattling , new woofer no charge , right now my Klipsch 12" is rattling , both 2 years old and no abuse , I don't understand this , short of poor quality.

My 5 year old Velo CT 100 no problem , my new VELO CHT 15 is great.

Imagine importing one and having problems....... Idon't think so !!

BTW , you never hear about the expense and inconvenience this would be from the groupies that have imported one.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
A self powered sub has 2 components so failure rate is higher. Usually you can remove the amp plate and send it for repair. That said, I prefer a passive sub to avoid the hassle. No hesitation recommending svsubwoofers.com

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
yep my 8" kef powered sub had the amp burnt out in 1 year, most probably due to inferior electronic components assembled in china

now self made a cervin vega 12" with diy cabinet and power by a rotel power amp, and for 6 months now no problem

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Statistically, subwoofers require more repair than full-range speakers, and for a plethora of reasons. (It takes guts to use the word "plethora" around here...)

Subs reproduce bass, which requires the most power and electro-mechanical movement. Sub amplifiers and drivers are often pushed too hard because the sub is inadequate for the room, or it is being overdriven, or most likely both. You are less likely to notice audible distortion in an overdriven sub than in an LCR. When calibrating a system by ear, most folks set the sub 4 dB to 10 dB too hot, reducing headroom by the same amount. Sealed compact subs use equalization to extend response; sometimes as much as 20 dB or more at 20 Hz, and this can stress amps and drivers. Remember, response drops off at 12 dB/octave below the resonant frequency in a sealed enclosure, so EQ is needed. Many subs are also built to sell at a certain price point, and compromises must be made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.