AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most people here have $1000's to spen on their HT's, but I can't afford that much. My whole setup is worth only about $3,500.

I have Tehcnics SB-T200 towers for main speakers ($200 pair), and matching center and surrounds (SB-CSS150 I think, $220 with center ch.), and I was wondering where on the scale do they stand.

I power them with a Harman AVR 320.

I have been happy with them so far.

What do you think?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think you need to answer your own question. Select a couple of CD's you really know to detail and go to listen some other speakers. Hear as many as you can.

Then, you will be able to see if you don't "need" anything else.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
If you're happy with them, then that's the most important thing, not what anyone else thinks about your system.

Technics is not known for their speakers, but two years ago at CES I heard a Panasonic demonstration of DVDAudio through a system consisting of 6 identical huge 7' Technics tower speakers. It was very impressive...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Clark
If you're happy with them, then that's the most important thing, not what anyone else thinks about your system.

Technics is not known for their speakers,
Of course :)

But I wanted to know the other members' opinions.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Most Japanese speakers use low-cost drivers, which makes them ard to compare with mid-fi competitors. Technics has ever made SB-M series that are very good, but they were discontinued.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Many of those japanese speakers tries to maximize size at the cost of everything else. If you open the speaker up, you will see a giant woofer with a 1" voice coil. A cabinet that weighs next to nothing, drivers being driven full range without crossovers, particleboard instead of MDF, etc.

If you go up in price range on the japanese speakers, they start emphasizing super-exotic technology which might be cool, but sounds really bad. It might do good on Consumer Report because these speakers were designed by people who emphasize specification and measurement.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Quote:
But I wanted to know the other members' opinions.
you asked for it :(

i've always believed "never buy speakers made by an electronics company." sony, panasonic, technics, etc. it's all crap. cheap drivers in cheap cabinets...

but if you like them...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.