AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 32" tv. From what I'm seeing, the flat screens are the newest thing. Now, is the picture quality that much improved? From what I could see in the showroom, they all looked about the same. I can get a 32" regular style tv for the same price as a 27" flat screen, but will I be missing much?

I've been thinking of one of either sony or toshiba, what are some recommendations?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't think the image from a flat screen is any better than a curved screen if you are right in front of it. If you are off to the side it reduces distortion along the sides of the screen. To me the big benifit of a flat screen is it doesn't catch so many reflections on the screen. There is much less glare from light sources off to the sides of the set. This was a big reason for me to buy the flat screen Toshiba 34HF81 over the curved screen RCA F38310.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
If you don't mind screen reflections, there is not much benefit to a flat screen. Geometry is likely better on a curved screen. I almost bought a 32" Hitachi set but it catches too many reflections. My next direct view will have to be a flat screen.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. Seriously though, I'd rather have a 32" than 27 for the same price. If the only difference will be reflections then I'll go for the bigger tv.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I am sorry to hear you wanting to buy what Thomas Alva Edison set up, way back before my time the 4:3. The future is digital and digital is 16 X 9 not Edisons 4:3, when it's mandatory to go to digital. You'll find out what you will have to do, to see the analog your buying.

A set top box to downmix the signal from digital to analog. I hope you change your mind, before you buy a fool screen TV and buy fool screen DVD discs. Read up on what type of picture your fool screen TV will give you in the digital age. Do some real thinking, we are here to help. We can't make up your mind, that decision is all yours.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes, flat screens are better than curved. IMO.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ya save your money and buy the curved 32, flat screen price is too much of a premium, It looks very sexy compared to the curved, but price/performance you can't beat the 32 curved. You can always upgrade in few years and wouldn't lose as much anyways

have fun

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Hob----I could care less about digital TV. If all HD has to offer is Jay Leno and other network fare it's a big yawn for me. When a HD disc system becomes available for the watching of movies then I'll worry about it. Until then my Sony Wega will do fine for watching LDs and DVDs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.