AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Best Buy this weekend looking at the Kuros and the Samsung LCDs, and much as I want to like the Kuro's the pictures looked better on the Samsungs'. Everyone says look at the black levels but my problem was with the whites they look yellow on the Pioneer. Also the Pioneer appear not to have the sharp detail of the Samsung.

Everyone says the Pioneer is a better television, but right now I just don't see it. I know many people say way until you get it home, but how big of a different are we talking about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know what you're saying (I own both -- but mine is a Pioneer 1140HD --comments still apply)... I thought the same thing when I was in the store .. the Pioneer had a bit of a yellow tone... The pioneer is probably set in "pure" mode which has that affect. When it's in standard mode, the yellow tone is removed. As far as detail is concerned, I agree also with the Samsung being sharper (or the Pioneer being softer). I turned up the sharpnees on the Pioneer, and had to adjust the Samsung down. Ask to see how the TVs are set up ... I found the the LCDs had the contrast set at the highest level possible. I ended up buying a 50" Pioneer, and recently bought a Samsung LCD.... The Samsung doesn't compare to the Pioneer when viewing at home ... The colors are better on the Pioneer, facial tones are fantastic (I hate the Samsung LCD when looking at facial tones) ... grass when watching football games is much more realistic on the Pioneer. Go in the store when they're showing a football game on the LCD set up as they have it, and the grass will look terrible.

So that's my unbiased opinion...buy the Pioneer if you can justify the price difference. You won't think twice about the purchase when you get it home.

One other comment -- I remember watching the Samsung LCD and it looked very detailed, but showed lots of digitial noise with certain content.... I see that on mine Samsung now, and I never see it on my Pioneer.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macintoshse /forum/post/12885648

I was in Best Buy this weekend looking at the Kuros and the Samsung LCDs, and much as I want to like the Kuro's the pictures looked better on the Samsungs'. Everyone says look at the black levels but my problem was with the whites they look yellow on the Pioneer. Also the Pioneer appear not to have the sharp detail of the Samsung.

Everyone says the Pioneer is a better television, but right now I just don't see it. I know many people say way until you get it home, but how big of a different are we talking about.

Valid points. Both are good sets and unless you have them side-by-side in your own viewing room you would be hard pressed to say which one is better. Those yellowish whites would most likely seem fine if you did not have another set near for comparison. Black levels? It appears that most people are just fine with the black level on whichever set they bring home. Keep in mind too that what you see on a show room floor is not necessarily the best you can expect from any set. The best advise remains to research but ultimately use your own eyes.

dsnedegar3 - Digital noise is normally not normally associated with display technology. These articles may explain http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...e/2826881.html
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/Noise.php

Many sets contain digital noise reduction circuits. Check the settings on your Samsung.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The Yellowish-whites are due to the default temperature/gamma settings of

the Pioneer. It's close to the D65 (think that's what it's called) reference levels

that the movie industry uses. You can easily adjust it to look white. However,

if the entire screen is full of white, things will get a bit dull.

Regarding sharpness, that's a different story. If you were looking at the 5080,

then you're looking at a 720P TV, meanwhile the Sammy LCD is likely a 1080P

set. I own a 60 inch 1080P and it's pretty close to the sharpness of my old

Sharp d92 (52 inch) LCD. It's not quite there, but very close. One thing that

seems to help LCD's in the sharpness department (from normal viewing distance)

is their brightness. You can potentially see more detail from further away depending

on the content's reliance on contrast. Higher contrasting scenes will likely look

sharper, but mainly darker colours on brighter backgrounds. The reverse (bright on dark)

doesn't seem to be any sharper on the LCD from my experience.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
the 6010 looked great in bestbuy... great enough that swmbo stopped to look at it and said "we should get one of these"...

the calibrated 150fd looked even better at an a/v shop...

the 150fd in my living room with d-nice settings looked awesome...

the 150fd in my living room calibrated by umr looks unbelievable...

so yes, they look better when you get them home...

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Adjust the picture settings on the Pioneer and it will look better. I have a problem with whites on plasmas in general but they look decent with typical content on the screen. Like Nambit said if you have a mostly white screen then that's a differnet story. Side by side with the LCDs white levels won't compare. And I never really noticed it until recently but it seems to me that my Kuro crushes white detail. Black levels are very good.

If you can wait a while Panasonic is supposed to have their new models out in the Spring with black levels around the current Kuros and are supposed to be 30% brighter. I assume the white levels will improve as well. Hopefully the 9G Pioneers will improve some in the area of white levels also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts