AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is my understanding that the Panasonic's are s-l-o-w when it comes to changing the channels. I know that there is a fix to bring them up to a later revision that helps the APG speed, but what about the channel changing speed?

I've heard a lot of great things about the Panasonic units. If they just were faster at changing the channel!

·
Registered
828 Posts
As a Panny owner, I think I would have to third that though I have never used another make STB to compare it with. However, for what I use the Panasonic for, it works great. I use it as a 'secondary' receiver and only use it to tune HD.

Even with the fixes, it's pretty slow changing channels. Sometimes, the remote reponse is 3-5 seconds. Also, the menu/banner design and graphics leave a lot to be desired.

The picture however is wonderful. Plus it has the selectable output on the front panel.

Just some thoughts...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yep. Got the fix and it's still slow. Many times, one changes the channel to, let's say, 199, and only the first 2 digits take before the channel starts changing (to 19). Then, a few seconds later, it changes to channel 9.

The unit is truly a POS.

I had a Sony open box for a few weeks before getting the Panny. The Sony cost $600, and then I found the Panny for $200, so I took back the Sony (figuring they're all obsolete anyway, so I might as well spend as little as possible).

IMO, the Sony was MUCH better, and if I could return the Panny and get my money back, I'd probably just get the cheapest non-Panny I could find instead (RCA?)

Just one person's experiences...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
i have the panny and will probably sell it and go with the new zenith (although i thought the old zennith would be my box)

its clumsey and slow, but the 720 P native looks great

·
Registered
391 Posts
I fourth, fifth, or whatever.

I would NEVER buy the Panasonic again, or recommend it.

I personally think Panasonic should allow us to upgrade to their next box (if it is better) since many of us who are the big supporters of HD and recommend equipment to other hate their STB with a passion.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority. Like JoeTivo, I use my PANNY for HD only so the slow menu speed is not an issue. The fan noise, however, is. I'll be boxing it up and sending it in for the fan noise fix as well as speeding up the menu fix. The only other STB I've used is the Sony which has a loud fan and a seemingly slower menu and not as good a picture as the Panny. I happen to own the Panasonic PT-56WXF95 TV which is 720p capable so the Panny STB was a no brainer. And the picture produced by the Panny is excellent!

Pannyman

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Another vote for the Panny. Had the factory mod's done--fan is silent, speed is better, best user controls (upfront resolution selection) Looks awsome on my PT56WXF95A. Panny is a great company, a spped tip is to leave the zip code as 00000!

·
Registered
96 Posts
gmanhdtv,

Interesting comment about the zip code. If you set the zip code to 00000, won't the guide be missing the show descriptions for the OTA channels?

Pannyman

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just got my unit yesterday.

What do I have to do to get the changes/updates?

The unit was produced in January 2001.

Thanks,

George

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zybar
Just got my unit yesterday.

Thanks,

George
George.

I almost never ever return anything. I either live with my mistakes or put them in the closet. But after I received my Panny STB, I decided to return it (internet sale) to Crutchfield and went out and bought a Toshiba indtead. The toshiba has not been without a few quirks, but it 10 times better than the panasonic. All the tweaks and updates dont make the panasonic quick enough to live with. If you can return yours, do it. I hated my unit.

baimo

btw: I did think it looked nice

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Assuming you subscribe to DirecTV, the software update will download automatically.

Quote:
Do you mean 2002, or did you buy a refurb?

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
You need to seperate out responses of those that have been fixed - and those that have not.

After the fix the channel surfing is the same speed as all the other DirecTV boxes I use - usually 2-3s.

The HDTV lock on/ups are no longer a problem.

The remote still sucks until you move the commands to another remote.

The fan still blows and can be heard in a quiet room

The menus are much faster at redraw - but does not change the fact that it has the worst menu system of any DirectTV box. The menu itself leads to slow navigation. This box has no record timers, no quick channel matrix, no video overlay in program quide. The first generation Sony box I have is much better.

The Component Video quality at 480i is still outstanding.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I don't know about you guys but I will take picture quality over speed any time. I have the Panasonic and would recommend it for HD viewing. It also locks onto signals better for me than others I have tried. As we have terrain problems here, it is the only one that will lock in on CBS. Watching a neighbors Mitsibishi and Sony, which are unable to get any OTA, I am glad I picked up the Panasonic. The picture on the Panasonic is better than both on both HBO and HDnet over Direct TV. Isn't the most important issue picture quality after all?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for all the responses :D

I got this as an open box from Tweeter for $250 so I thought it was worth the gamble (yes it has a maunfacture date of Jan. 2001 - I believe it was buried in their wharehouse).

With all of the uncertainty in this area, it didn't seem like such a big risk.

That being said...

I can live with the slowness, b/c I will use it primarily for HD and have a different receiver for non-HD if I can't deal with it.

What do I have to do to get the fan replaced?

Thanks again,

George

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am also a satisfied Panny STB box owner.

I am happy with the 720P output, which I am inputing into my XGA (1024x768) DLP projector (Proxima DX3). I did have to add an electronic inverter and buffer to get the negative sync signals my projector needed.

Even the 480I output looks good on a conventional 35" TV. Color fidelity is much better.

The remote and guide could be improved!

Larry Cobb

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
What do I have to do to get the fan replaced?
If you've had it less than 90 days Panasonic should cover both parts and labor if you send it to their Elgin, IL repair facility. Call the toll-free number in your instruction manual for details on the procedure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.