AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the different packages, and I'm pretty sold on package 6 (RS550, RSC100, RS150). But after reading a lot of opinions about the 750's I'm wondering if I should go with Package 1 (RS750, RSC200, RS250). The only problem is that it's $700 more, which will put me over budget and I won't be able to get the SVS sub I wanted also.

Should I go with the better package (750's) and forego the sub at this point, or should I go with the smaller (550) package? If the sound difference is that much better with the 750's, I'd spring for it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Get the package #4 for $200 more and get Bigfoot, if you can still swing getting the sub, too. It's amazing what comes out of the center channel in HT, and the 200 is awesome. What is your music/ht split?

Edit: Maybe then, someday, you can get the 750's, move the 550's back, and put the 250's in a bedroom...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My split is about 70% movies, 30% music, but that could change with DVD-audio I guess. I'm a little worried about the size and where to mount "bigfoot" if I got it. I would have put the RSC100 on top of the TV, but not so with the 200. I really didn't want to have to put it in front of the TV.

So if I watch a lot of movies, the RSC200 is far superior?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Depending upon your TV, most should hold it.

I've got the smallest Von Schweikert center and it is a bit larger than the RS200 "Bigfoot." It fits on my 32" TV. The RS200 is 46 pounds, not all that heavy. There are centers that weigh in the 90 to 100 pound range.

Tom B.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yo Momma
he RSC200 is far superior?
The 200, or Bigfoot truly is in a class of its own.

It has the size and presence to be able to hold its own with the 750's, and therefore would make an excellent and perfect companion to the 550's!

The 100, I'm sure, is "nice", but if you can swing it, definitely get the 200; you won't be disappointed! (but, if you get the 100, will you forever be asking "should I have gotten the 200"?)

In any event, unless your TV is fairly small, you should easily be able to fit the 200 on it. Though big, and somewhat heavy, it should not strain most TV's. If the top of your TV is not big (like many tubes), you may want to extend it with a shelf. But, considering that tube TV's are designed to support their own weight, even if they were set upside-down, then the ~40 lbs of Bigfoot should not be an issue at all. It is only generally a concern for some large widescreens, since that is a lot of weight that is not supported by the sides of the TV.

I would easily put the weight of the bigfoot on my 24" Toshiba TV, if I had to (but, that TV is in the bedroom, hanging from the ceiling :)). While designing the support for that TV, I often had to put the TV upside-down - even tilted forwards, so all of its ~70 lbs weight was resting on only the front edge of the TV... with no problems.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
In answer to your question, which I asked of Rockets, Sean Parque replied,

"I usually recommend 550s in HT heavy systems. The 750 is just way too sweet to pass up with music. Music is where it shines quite bright indeed. The quad 5.25" drivers are much easier to integrate into a seemless soundfield...the crossover is very special too...even has a patent applied for it. Very linear response and smoother top end."

After reading this, I decided to go with the 750s.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had a 550/200/150s package and was very pleased. Never the less, the upgrade fairy visited me and I traded in the 550's for the 750's because I didnt want any regrets; and I sensed that the 750's were in another class than the 550's.

I had the 550's for over two months and now I've had the 750's for over a month. I can tell you that you will be very happy if you just go for the 750s and skip the sub. The 750 bass is phenomenal and can carry a movie wonderfully without a sub. It is very much worth the upgrade. In 5 days or 5 years you will be glad you went with the best. You can always add the sub.

I wouldnt consider anything else but the bigfoot, regardless of what you decide with your front mains.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Oooo, then you can save up for the matching Rocket sub that isn't even for sale yet, it is so new. :)

And yes, the 200 is far superior. Tremendous. Just listened to it again tonight. Now we have you up to a 750/200/250 package. Aren't we nice? And then someone's going to say, "and if you need stands for the 250's, for the price of the stands you can upgrade the 250's to 550's, and then soon you will be as Husker Harley, with 6 750's all around, and the 200 center! (Sorry, I got carried away. :D )

You are trying to be fiscally responsible, and we're just helping you down the slippery slope... "But honey, these people MADE me do it!"

The 200 is worth it, and the 750 is worth it. Really. Now, good luck, and make a wise decision.

·
Registered
674 Posts
So 750/200/250/upcoming Rocket Sub, eh? *chuckles*

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Why would you choose the 250s over the 300s? I thought that dipole speakers were all the rage for HT?

·
Registered
319 Posts
It has to do with personal preference and what you want to do.

With the 300's (surrounds), you get what most people (from what I've seen) would say is a good for movies.

With the 250's (monopole), you are better suited for multichannel audio.

For me, I got the 300's because they place much better then monopoles would of (in my situation).

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Good, I was thinking of getting 2 750s, two 300s and a bigfoot, looks like I'm going in the right direction.

I don't have DVD-A or SACD yet, maybe when I do, I'll upgrade the 300s to 750s anyway :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Innova
Good, I was thinking of getting 2 750s, two 300s and a bigfoot,
Yup - that is what I have. My setup is for enjoying movies, and listening to 2-channel music (high bitrate MP3 via my AudioTron) using the DSP which gives me all 5 speakers.

I have to confess I've never heard multi-channel sound (DVD-A, etc), but feel I could not justify the cost anyway since I already have all the music I want - I do not listen to albums, but "playlists" of hundreds of songs that fit into whatever mood I'm in. Think of it as personal / custom radio stations.

Even my wife says the Rockets sound "good", and when pressed, will acknowledge they are "better" than my old setup... but for her, she'd be fine watching everything (even movies) with a mono TV speaker! She just has no interest in quality sound. Zero. None. She has never turned on the stereo to enjoy better sound for TV, or even her movies - even when watching Moulin Rouge! (though I'll come in, switch it on, and she'll agree she prefers it through the stereo -- but it just isn't a big enough deal to her to bother turning stuff on) sigh...

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Glen, do yourself a favor and listen to DVD-A on your Rockets..... it will change your world, trust me. DVD-A has once again renewed my interest in music listening. I now go and listen to complete albums/CDs at a time.

just a thought,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just to chime in here with some additional info. I am a big HT fan and I just heard the 750/200/550 combo tonight (made the drive up to Sean's house here in CO actually).

The 200 is truly everything that people are saying. The best center channel I have ever heard. My wife remarked again tonight when we got home how clear it was. She actually *wants* this upgrade just as much as I do after hearing it firsthand. Of course the 750s are definitely what I would go with for fronts and I am now thinking about changing my existing order to get the 550s for the rears instead of the 300s.

Tige

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rmassey
Glen, do yourself a favor and listen to DVD-A on your Rockets.....
I'll be honest; I don't really know much about DVD-A. It is my understanding that the DVD player has to support it - not all do? My player is about a 2+ year old Sony, so I am not sure if it does or not.

Does DVD-A need the 5.1 analog outs like I've heard SACD does? Or does it use the optical / coax?

I don't know anybody who even owns any SACDs or DVD-A's... the people I know tend to be the younger computer geek crowd, and have all gone to things like computers hooked to stereos or AudioTrons (and thus MP3s - like I have).

Still, this morning, I was listening to Don Henley (MP3), and thought I'd switch to 2-channel from DPLII. I was amazed! Those 750's held their own, and I found they filled the room about as much as the 5.1 setup! With my previous Infinity speakers, I found that the 2-channel was seriously lacking in "completeness" -- perhaps this is what people call things like imaging and soundstage (terms I am not familiar with, due to my lack of experience).

I listened to Suzanne Vega's "Luka", and the echo in her voice at about 0:23, 0:45 and 1:23 into the song were pronounced; I had not really noticed it much before on my old setup (yeah, again, via MP3; I can dial a song in quicker than I can grab the CD and shove it into the player).

I guess I may have to try to find a favorite album on DVD-A (assuming my player supports it) and give it a try. Although the thought of trying to explain more music purchase $$$ to my wife (after wiring the house for nework and 2 AudioTrons) sort of scares me :) She did let me get the Rockets for the living room (even though to her, the others were "just fine"), and I sort of just ordered the 150s for the bedroom without quite telling her -- until they arrived (more than a month before the living room setup)!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Glen,

Yes, your player has to support DVDA or SACD, and there are no digital connections for those formats yet. The good news is that you can get an excellent player like the Panasonic RP62s for under $200.00 at CC. It's time to update that antique anyway. :D DVDA takes surround sound to it's highest level at least until blue laser hits the market. I've read that Warner and EMI have committed to releasing tons of archived material starting next year.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rt297
your player has to support DVDA or SACD,

Panasonic RP62s for under $200.00 at CC.
Hmmm... I may check to see if my player will do DVD-A, but I can't see buying more equipment (budget). Plus, that would open up the "rabbits hole" of throwing more money at music merely because there is now a "better" version of the CD I already have! Eeep :rolleyes:

Perhaps I'm safer if I don't experience DVD-A or SACD... then I can continue to "believe" it wouldn't be that important to me, because even if it were better, there is no way I could replace hundreds of CD's, etc... :) It was hard enough to justify new speakers (even when the wife agreed my former center and surrounds were "not good")!

·
Registered
432 Posts
That's not accurate, Russ. Pioneer has deployed an industry-standard implementation of Sony's iLink in its 47Ai player and 49TXi receiver. Denon is struggling with a crippled, proprietary digital interface they call DenonLink. The upcoming trade show will have several announcements regarding manufacturers' plans to support digital hirez music. Stay tuned.

Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by rt297
Glen,

Yes, your player has to support DVDA or SACD, and there are no digital connections for those formats yet. The good news is that you can get an excellent player like the Panasonic RP62s for under $200.00 at CC. It's time to update that antique anyway. :D DVDA takes surround sound to it's highest level at least until blue laser hits the market. I've read that Warner and EMI have committed to releasing tons of archived material starting next year.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yo Momma (if that is in fact your real name);),

I'd swing for the 750's now and add the sub later. I've got a pair of each and while the 550's are quite the sweet sounding speakers, in my opinion the 750's as mains are worth the extra money. A linear-to-cost improvement, perhaps more so.

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen Graham
Hmmm... I may check to see if my player will do DVD-A, but I can't see buying more equipment (budget). Plus, that would open up the "rabbits hole" of throwing more money at music merely because there is now a "better" version of the CD I already have! Eeep :rolleyes:

Perhaps I'm safer if I don't experience DVD-A or SACD... then I can continue to "believe" it wouldn't be that important to me, because even if it were better, there is no way I could replace hundreds of CD's, etc... :) It was hard enough to justify new speakers (even when the wife agreed my former center and surrounds were "not good")!
If you do it, I think you'll be glad you did. Blow a bit over $200 on a Pansonic RP-82 or CP-72. DVD-A is a very noticable step in fidelity over CD or MP3 and the Rockets make it shine. As a test I set my processor to approximate the analog DVD-A input settings (large satellites, no bass summing, LFE only sub) for playing the alternate 44.1/16 DD tracks included on some of my DVD-A discs, and had an assistant randomly (and blind to me) A/B several of them between the high-rez 96/24 tracks. I could easily tell the difference 10 for 10, and found I could even do this from an adjoining room. So could he. It's in the upper registers, and it was fairly amazing to me. Theoretically the brick wall of 21 kHz that exists with the Redbook CD standard should be enough for almost anyone's hearing, but apparently what's being said regarding uncorrupted harmonics of the higher and inaudible freq.s affecting the lower and audible ones seems to be true.

I understand where you're coming from regarding this spoiling what you're enjoying now, but I found no threat to my standing CD collection. Think of it as icing on the cake for those special occasions. I've got many hundred of CD's, a few of which I still randomly enjoy everyday, but now I could no longer be without my tiny collection of 15 DVD-A discs.

If you are or ever were an ELP fan, the "Brain Salad Surgery" DVD-A disc is a great place to start. There's not really a hell of a lot out there on DVD-A yet, so you might want to check out what is available first to see if this is a worthwhile pursuit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.