AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are, but more specifically are there sites/applications I can use on the HTPC I am building where I can sort of "pay-per-view". We don't have or want cable or satellite but would love to be able to tune in to watch certain sporting events (in HD of course) especially. It would be nice to tune in for the Olympics, US Open, an occasional ball game, etc. but not have to subscribe to cable or satellite. Does this exist for HTPCs??

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
no network or cable channel wants to offer that, so no it does not exist. a few companies who have tried it were sued instantly.

most of what you mentioned wanting to watch is available for free over the air though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We really love watching Tennis but sadly it seems that the Tennis Channel is taking over all of those broadcasts for the most part.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
there are some services for the sports leagues - NHL Game Center Live, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc.

The problem you run into with those is their blackout rules.

For instance, I live in Pittsburgh. If I subscribed to the NHL package I would not be able to see any Penguin games. If i subscribed to the MLB service I could not watch any Pirate games. For the NFL no Steelers games. Likewise, I could not watch any game available on a nationwide network like NBC Sports (formerly Versus), the NHL Network, or ESPN.

NBA, since Pittsburgh does not have a team, I could watch any game, so long as its not on a national network like WGN, TNT, ESPN, or ABC.

·
Registered
113 Posts
TSN is offering Euro 2012 streaming : 20$ for the whole tournament!

And the quality has been great so far!

Only little hiccup is that they use Microsoft Silverlight for streaming... Which isn't available on linux, so not available on my HTPC, so I have to plug my MacBook into the TV :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
aereo.com

I think this company does what your talking about... I think its still in the testing phases though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DIdn't see that haha I did see the $12/month for the free channels and then like 2 others i MIght watch. So I decided to pass. I do appreciate you trying to help though StrikeOne33!

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020  /t/1415852/are-their-sites-applications-that-stream-television-for-a-fee#post_22135963

That looked interesting until I saw "Aereo is available exclusively in New York City"

I believe this is their attempt to tip-toe around the law under the theory that everyone they are distributing OTA channels to (through the internet) could have their own OTA antenna in their home; Aereo simply keep the customers "personal antenna" on their premises.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts