AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying an x360 primarily to stream netflix - If I have a netflix account, does it cost anything extra to stream on the x360. I recall that you used to have to have a paid xbox marketplace membership or something (granted it's cheap, but still a cost to consider) - is this still the case?

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Yes, you need a gold account. I would NOT buy a 360 "primarily to stream netflix" You can get a Blu-Ray player or Roku for a lot cheaper.

If you want a gaming system and a bonus Netflix streamer, then yeah, but if you're doing a "primary Netflix streamer with a bit of gaming" I'd go for a PS3 over a 360 at this point due to 1080p and 5.1 on Netflix (although I would suspect that will be coming to other devices, but there's been no announcements)

·
Registered
174 Posts
So there still is no 5.1 on Netflix streaming through the 360? Does Netflix have the ability to offer 1080P through any system (PS3, Blu-Ray player, etc.)? When they can provide both of these I am in.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 /forum/post/19539339

Yes, the PS3 can do Netflix in 5.1/1080P.

Ok, cool that is good to know. I assume Xbox 360 will be capable of doing this at some point too? I would hate to have to buy a PS3 just for getting 1080P and 5.1 on Netflix. I have been more seriously considering doing the streaming Netflix thing since I upgraded my router with two Airport Extremes. One at the PC and the second at my entertainment center for true N - Gigabit connectivity. So I should not have any problems with streaming.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ /forum/post/19539443

Ok, cool that is good to know. I assume Xbox 360 will be capable of doing this at some point too? I would hate to have to buy a PS3 just for getting 1080P and 5.1 on Netflix. I have been more seriously considering doing the streaming Netflix thing since I upgraded my router with two Airport Extremes. One at the PC and the second at my entertainment center for true N - Gigabit connectivity. So I should not have any problems with streaming.

Streaming will depend more on your Internet connection than what speed your LAN in your house is.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts

Quote:

Not everything on PS3 Netflix is streamed at 1080p and 5.1. Also it is coming to the 360 along other devices. Netflix chose to start with the PS3 for the feature

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Quote:

There has been no announcements, but I assume the 1080p/5.1 will come to other devices. I've switched to the PS3 for now (glad I own all systems).

Quality will depend on how fast your internet connection is than the internal speed of your network.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just upgraded to a faster tier but I do not recall wat the download speed is but it is high speed cable. No Fios in my area yet. I think I will be fine with my current setup. I think I need to upgrade to a Slim since I have an older refurb 360 after a RROD issue. So now that I think about it, I will not even get 1080P until I upgrade to an HDMI box since I am currently connected via Component cable.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Right now PS3 is the best Netflix Streamer. Its "free" and does 1080p/5.1 sound on some titles.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ
I just upgraded to a faster tier but I do not recall wat the download speed is but it is high speed cable. No Fios in my area yet. I think I will be fine with my current setup. I think I need to upgrade to a Slim since I have an older refurb 360 after a RROD issue. So now that I think about it, I will not even get 1080P until I upgrade to an HDMI box since I am currently connected via Component cable.
The Xbox 360 supports outputting 1080p over component video, so it would be a limitation of your television, not of the Xbox, that would require you switching to HDMI. In the context of this conversation (about Netflix), though, as noted above, there is no 1080p streaming of films at the present time on the Xbox 360.

As far as bandwidth, hopefully you're able to get solid sustained bandwidth. Some cable service providers seem to be enamored of "boosting" technologies which give you a crapload of bandwidth for a brief period of time, but if you keep using it at that rate for more than a minute or two, they drop you back down to a slower rate. I believe you need somewhere on the order of 6 - 8 Mbps sustained for the highest quality HD feed from Netflix.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper
If you want a gaming system and a bonus Netflix streamer, then yeah, but if you're doing a "primary Netflix streamer with a bit of gaming" I'd go for a PS3 over a 360 at this point due to 1080p and 5.1 on Netflix (although I would suspect that will be coming to other devices, but there's been no announcements)
BluRay, too. Getting a 360 primarily for Netflix doesn't make a lot of sense. Ditto for ESPN3. Get a video card that can drive a TV and a wireless keyboard/mouse, and use your computer for the streaming video if that's all you care about. It seems silly to buy the hardware and pay for Gold when the data - Netflix and ESPN3 - are free*.

* - paid for already in another context.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ
don't forget that you can have viewing parties on the 360. now that my friends are scattered across the US post-college, our movie get-togethers are just like we were back in school.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/19539214

Yes, you need a gold account. I would NOT buy a 360 "primarily to stream netflix" You can get a Blu-Ray player or Roku for a lot cheaper.

thx

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/19540214

Right know PS3 is the best Netflix Streamer. Its "free" and does 1080p/5.1 sound on some titles.

Maybe for you. But my Xbox360 streams Netflix really fast. My Ps3 streams it really slow. With all the updates. Dunno why but it does

·
Registered
710 Posts
To stream Netflix's version of HD you need a high-speed internet connection. Personally, I can't see a difference in the HD versions and the non-HD versions of Netflix shows that I've streamed. Now I can see a diff in Netflix's HD versus the Blu-rays I've watched.

But a high upload speed is necessary to keep it from slowing down and losing sync.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was on a cheapee 1MB plan and netflix looked like SD television or maybe a little worse. I switched to 3MB and it looks fine, not BD but almost like digital cable or something like that, looks ok on a 54 inch at 10-12 feet.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks all,

I ended up deciding against the X360 for Netflix, then ironically ending up making an impulse buy and bought the X360 (refurb) at Gamestop b/c it was $100, and the Kinect looks REALLY cool. However I went to Bestbuy to try out the Kinect and it seems pretty lame - the idea is amazing - but the response as a controller seemed stale - I played the boxing and it missed some of my punches and ducking, and likewise with the fish tank leak game - if I moved my arm a little , it gave me full credit as if I had plugged the leak :-(

So I haven't opened up the X360 and am debating on whether to keep it or not.

Was my experience soemthing unique to the best buy setup or is that true in general (that it's pretty poor response - kinda on par with what I see with the Wii controller -

P.S. While there (at best buy) I tried out the Sony Move and that was VERY responsive - however I love the idea of no controller.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm not sure a store setup would be ideal for an impression of Kinect.

I have it and love it...and everyone who has played it at my house has gotten one after....(most owned 360's but a few didn't so had to buy the whole package).

You have a "Kinect Tuner" piece you run to setup the kinect for your environment. I doubt a store setup would have an ideal environment (floor traffic and needed floor space, etc..) to have a proper setup.

As for lag/delay/etc.... there is some. Remember it's a camera system converting analog readings into a control mechanism. Most games I've played seem to work really well with this so far....ie Kinect Adventures (comes with it) and Kinect Sports. My wife loves playing the bowling portion of Kinect Sports and I love playing the Table Tennis portion. First play...you sense the delay/lag and then your mind adjusts to it automatically and you don't really notice it. I wouldn't expect First Person Shooters though....not unless it's used as an "addition" to the standard controller (tossing grenades, hand to hand combat, etc...).

As for Netflix....I use it on my 360 near daily. I have two 360's (one in the living room and one in the bedroom) and enjoy the streaming aspect Netflix gives me (starting a moving in one room and then continuing it in the other, etc..). It works very well for streaming and I look forward to the update that will allow 5.1 audio.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts