Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And are they any good?

I searched but didn't find anything that talked about native 16:9 DLPs or LCDs...

As I understand, dILA of any kind are still a little more than 5K regardless of panel format.

I want to know because would rather use internals to unsqueeze than a seperate anamorphic lens. I am fat and lazy when it comes to PJs;) If I weren't, I'd already be wrestling with a CRT...wouldn't I?;)

But seriously...are there any?:confused:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hmm??? In fact, the majority of most popular LCD projectors under $5K are native 16:9, including the Sanyo Z1, Panasonic L300u, Sony HS10, Epson TW100, and Yamaha LPX-500.

However, there is only one native 16:9 DLP projector under $5K that I know of: the new Mitsubishi 1208.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Checkout Projectorcentral.com for a complete list of pjs in this price range. I have the Sony HS10 which is an lcd pj that can be found for under $2500.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Philips is now shipping 2 versions of it's 16:9 pj. 6000 hour lamp, 27 dB fan noise, decent colors. Picture is a little soft. I'd probably spring for an external scaler like an XTune, otherwise it's a great contender in this category.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey Sushi! I can't find any inormation on the mitsubishi pj 1208 you refered to. Where can I find information?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess the 16:9 AR is so common no one mentions it! That's great!

SO... is there a FAQ anywhere for what a projector noob like me should look for as far as specs to get the best looking image I can for the 3 to 5 (maybe 6K but not a penny more) range?

Keep in mind that although I am going to be a newcomer to the world of home front projectors, I am not an a/v noob (relatively speaking, some of you guys are video engineers it seems!!), but I do demand excellent PQ and if I am going to spend the equivalent of a total blueprint, balance, and detailing of my 383 engine and 727-A tranny (my other obession), I expect to get that "wow" factor as well as something that will keep me happy for at least 7 to 10 years... I don't really get upgrade bugs unless there is a format change or I can't use software. That's why I spend the most I can when I do change...to assure (as much as is possible these days) that I stave off obsolecence as long as possible. I am a TV professional, but I'm a producer, not an engineer, so I am very aware of what great video is. I was a photographer and editor for many years as well, so I have a pretty good idea on how to use a scope blah blah blah.. I just want to make clear where I am coming from... SO.... with that in mind...

What do I need to look for? Why LCD...why not? DLP? Am I right in being concerned about the color wheel thing and should I wait until I can afford a 3 panel DLP? I will be grateful for any advice or any search tips to find the info for myself... I have not been able to find a shootout/comparison of the three technologies...did I miss the big banner at the top of the page or something? (I usually do...)

TIA for any help at all....South Florida locals...if you show me your PJ in action...I will bring Johnny Walker Black to the party...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
MannyE, I would start by visiting ProjectorCentral.com -- Go to their "Highly Recommended HT Projectors" list, and read their reviews on each of the recommended projectors listed. I do disagree with some of their specific comments, but that way you will nevertheless get a good picture of what is going on in the HT projector market today. People in this forum will be very happy to answer specific questions you may have then.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think things are a little different than the auto world. With the amount of video changes, formats etc., 7 to 10 years is a long time. I just want to caution you on that.

Have fun,

Sreeni

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sushi,

Thank you very much...I will be doing a lot of research and will have some more informed questions soon... I will visit the PJcentral website.

sreeni... the car I speak of is a 1969 Roadrunner.... it won't be obsolete until they outlaw gasoline...which won't be in my lifetime!!!

What I meant was tht the electronics have to keep me happy for at least 7 years... so far I've been able to reach and exceed that goal...

DVD player...still using the Sony DVP-S300...works great! Only now is it looking like I need to replace it to take advantage of new formats like SACD, DVD-A, and such..

RPTV....still going strong...Tosh TWD56...er..something...1995 model the best NTSC RPTV ever made IMHO... 16:9 widescreen... anamorphic DVDs and LDs stil look great on it...

B&K Ref 30.... this has been with me for almost three years now and I still have stuff in there I have not used...7.1 for example.... I'm sure I'll be happy with this pre/pro for a few more years....

Heck..I'm still happy with my JVC S-VHS...(no way I'm remembering THAT model#).

In fact, I'm writing this on a 4 year old computer... which still works fine... amazed? you shouldn't be ;)

Sometimes old tech is still good tech:

http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpa...=33140&ver=3.0

This is a great forum!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.