AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was wondering if there are any 64gb sdhd cards available to buy.

What about sdhc bigger than 64gb ?

Do u have any idea of the cheapest price ?

thank you

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
There's 64GB SDXC cards. I'm not sure of their compatibility, but the newer cams seem to be leaning in that direction.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tomorrow, I am going to get the new sony xr550.

I had to get the 240gb hard disk, but unfortunatelly I am having bad luck with the had disk camcorder (panny hs350). When the camera get hit hard, the recording session stops.

I do not find the hard disk camcorder reliable.

Anyway, I could not get the cx550. The 64gb in camera card, is not enough for me. So I opted for the xr550 and I am planning maybe 1 or more SD cards. The problem is that I need the biggest SD cards available.

I am not sure that 32gb is feasable for me.

64gb is better, but more than 64gb would be great.

If u think that with the cx550 we can record only 6 h 5 m on the 64gb card

you can image that with the 32 gb card, we can record only 3 hours....that is nothing.....so that is the reason why I am thinking at the 64gb sdhc or even bigger.

Anyway, does anybody know if the xr/cx550 is compatible with 64gb cards ?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I thought that the SDHC theoretical limit was 1TB. Not that you'll find any cams that support larger than 32GB.

Is this gear going to be unmanned or something? Lots of cams with dual SDHC slots that allow hot swapping for continuous type recording across several cards. I'm not sure how that works, but I remember it being a selling point for DUAL SDHC.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 /forum/post/18280854

I thought that the SDHC theoretical limit was 1TB. Not that you'll find any cams that support larger than 32GB.

Is this gear going to be unmanned or something? Lots of cams with dual SDHC slots that allow hot swapping for continuous type recording across several cards. I'm not sure how that works, but I remember it being a selling point for DUAL SDHC.

Sorry, do u mean that the cx/xr550 got a DUAL SDHC card slot ?

I mean I can use 2 cards in it ? Maybe 2 SDHC ?

What about SDXC. Is sony compatible with it ?

Also, can the xr/cx550 mount both the cards (SD card and Memory Stick PRO Duo card) at the same time ?

In that case, it could be possible to have at least 64gb mounting 2 x 32gb cards.....

Thank you

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster returns /forum/post/18280648

SDXC spec goes up to 2GB !!!

I think you meant to say "2TB".

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/18280784

Anyway, does anybody know if the xr/cx550 is compatible with 64gb cards ?

I don't believe it is. Sony's specs say SD/SDHC or up to Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo, neither of which go above 32GB as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the only option would be to finnd out if sony cx/xr let us use both the

SD/SDHC and the Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo at the same time so that we can reach 64gb.

Anyway, 64gb is a pretty small capacity for the new mbps used by sony.

I guess I have to find a way to protect better my camcorder from bumps and hits, so it does not stop recording....what a pain...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/18280939

Sorry, do u mean that the cx/xr550 got a DUAL SDHC card slot ?

I mean I can use 2 cards in it ? Maybe 2 SDHC ?

Some of the Canons have it. It may just mean that one card is for pictures, another for video. But they have it. Some of the pro cams have hot swappable dual card slots(CF?). Not sure on the models, but I'm pretty sure it exists.

I'm kind surprised we haven't seen some sort of SDHC raid array. One existing tech that could get past write speed, capacity and redundancy issues today. Probably requires a processor and a power suck, but tech / know how that exists today.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The $800 T2i / 550D DLSR supports SDXC - good for 2TB.

I would be surprised if there were any new camera releases that did not support SDXC - even the new Panny P&S ZS7 / TZ10 has SDXC support.

Yes, SDHD is 32GB max - unless someone can post a link to a bigger SDHD ?

edit: the new Panasonic TM700 camcorder also supports SDXC.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Last year, Sony announced a new fast 64 gigabyte memorystick card to go with its new camera's. 128 gigabyte should be okay, if one can afford it. I believe the 64 gig version was to be available in Q1, so check to see if it is or will be released shortly.

Two 16 Gig SDHC cards are still cheaper than one 32 gig one, you'll loose less material if the card gets damaged or gets stolen while still in the camera.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
It's much, much safer to go with class 6 cards. Even if a class 4 card will work on the Sony on the highest setting, theirs a chance that the camcorder will start recording. Also some brand cards are faster than others in the same class.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts