AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggest, I am looking for a device that would convert a 720p signal from Xbox to 1080i for my Sony KT500. My Sony RPTV downconverts 720p to 480p. I usually play 720p games on my PC monitor but I would like to try it in my RPTV.

Please move this if I posted it in the wrong section or if there is a better section to get more info in such devices.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The device you seek, as a standalone, is called a scaler. They cost upwards of $1k. I believe there are PC based solutions, but I don't know much about it. Check out the AVS HTPC forum.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Frank-

I too looked for this solution for a long time. There are a bunch of snake oil devices which will SOUND like they do what you want, but Squicken is right, in order to get the signal converted, you'll need a scaler.

It's STUPID that the Xbox doesn't provide a scaler, as 1080i is less processor intensive than 720p, but we can only hope that's an option in Xbox 2.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
As I have asked this question in other forums I have found the ADS Tech Hdtv Upconverter which is supposed to take any signal and convert it to 1080i. I have called these people and they said that many people whose tvs do not accept a 720p signal, have used this for their xbox games.

I have yet to try it out and see how it makes the games look.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought that ADS 1500 for $350...seems to work well upgrading all the 480p games to 1080i. I haven't had a chance to fully configure everything yet but I can definitely notice a difference.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. They are very expensive though. :( Just saw the add of the DVDO iScan HD+ on the AVS front page and they are like $1000+. Even between 350 and 600 dollars is still high. Hopefully they will come down in price then maybe, just maybe I will buy:D I guess I will continue using my PC monitor to play 720p games (very few btw) on the Xbox.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
At $600 I'd rather save for a few weeks and get a projector.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.