AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming that there will be 1080p/24 HD DVD players so I'm looking for a HDTV that accepts 1080p/24 via HDMI inputs. Do any of the Mitsubishi DLP's do this?


Also I have a 56 inch Samsung 1080p now and I cant it to pass BTB (blacker than black?) via HDMI from my HD-A2. Do all Samsung HDTV's have this problem or is the problem my HD DVD player?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,531 Posts
Robert,


The "wobulation" technology used in all consumer 1080p DLPs does not support display at a multiple of 24p. Hence, no 1080p DLPs, not even the 2007 models, will take advantage of 1080p24 input. You can read a bit more about it in the 2007 Samsung DLP Information From CES! thread.


Sony's 2007 SXRD, due in the second half of this year, may be the first consumer RPTV that can take advantage of 24p. Aside from that, the only consumer displays with that capability are the Pioneer plasmas and upcoming 120Hz LCDs from Toshiba, Sharp, and others. If 52" is sufficient, you may want to keep an eye out for early reviews of the Sharp 52" D92, discussed in this thread ; it's slated for release towards the end of February.


Another alternative to consider is a 1080p front projector like the Sony "Pearl" VPL-VW50 or the " best 1080p at CES " JVC RS-1. The Sony can be had for under $4k and the new JVC RS-1 should sell for under $5k when it is released in a few weeks.

Quote:
Also I have a 56 inch Samsung 1080p now and I cant it to pass BTB (blacker than black?) via HDMI from my HD-A2.

I believe the BTB issue will be remedied with a firmware update released in the next week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/0


Robert,


The "wobulation" technology used in all consumer 1080p DLPs does not support display at a multiple of 24p. Hence, no 1080p DLPs, not even the 2007 models, will take advantage of 1080p24 input. You can read a bit more about it in the 2007 Samsung DLP Information From CES! thread.


Sony's 2007 SXRD, due in the second half of this year, may be the first consumer RPTV that can take advantage of 24p. Aside from that, the only consumer displays with that capability are the Pioneer plasmas and upcoming 120Hz LCDs from Toshiba, Sharp, and others. If 52" is sufficient, you may want to consider to watch out for early reviews of the Sharp 52" D92, discussed in this thread ; it's slated for release towards the end of February.


Another alternative to consider is a 1080p front projector like the Sony "Pearl" VPL-VW50 or the " best 1080p at CES " JVC RS-1. The Sony can be had for under $4k and the new JVC RS-1 should sell for under $5k when it is released in a few weeks.


I believe the BTB issue will be remedied with a firmware update released in the next week.

Wow great stuff and thanks. I assume the firmware update you refer to is the soon to be released HD-A2 update right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,531 Posts

Quote:
I assume the firmware update you refer to is the soon to be released HD-A2 update right?

Yes, the firmware update was released for the European version of the HD-A2 (HD-E1) last week. Amirm said the U.S. version of the update was coming this week or next.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top