Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- 480i output

- User-controlled subtitle positioning

See, here's the deal... I'd very much like to use both Miranda's 4101 video pre-processor, as well as Digivision's HT-70e pre-pro. These two units are said to do wonders in the areas of detail enhancement and artifact masking. However, they can only accept 480i as the input signal. Why don't I just use any ol' player? Well, being in a Spanish-speaking country, I have to use subtitles most of the time, if the people watching movies with me don't speak English. And if there's one thing I hate, it's subtitles that spill onto the black bars when watching scope films. They ruin the ilusion of being in a true movie theater, as far as I'm concerned. So, I need a player that either displays subtitles without letting them spill onto the black bars, or a player thatw ill allow me to define the positioning of the subtitles.

Are there any players that allow for this? I've asked this question all over the place, and one of the replies I got was "I can't think of any reasonably-priced player that will do that". So, let's talk "unreasonable" prices ;)

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
All players have 480i output capability (some have the added functionality of 480p). Be aware that some movies have the subtitles burned into the picture (i.e. it's part of the image, not generated by the player). I think most players reproduce subtitles correctly (i.e. not in the black bars). Which player and disc are you having problems with?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually use an HTPC for viewing DVDs, and my software players place subtitles accurately. The only standalone player I've had intensive experience with has been my brother's Panasonic RV31. I was watching The Fellowship of the Ring (R4 NTSC) last night, and the first line of the subtitles would fall within the picture, while the second one dropped below, into the bottom black bar. When watching The Phantom Menace, ALL subtitles were placed on the bottom black bar. Moulin Rouge does the same thing as FOTR. I poked around to see if there was some way to adjust subtitle placement, but it was to no avail. This is really driving me nuts :eek:

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Digivision will be coming out with a new processor early next year which will accept a high definition signal. It will also be priced more competitively than the HT-70e.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's great news! :D As long as it takes a progressive signal, I should be able to use it with an HTPC. Now if only the MIranda guys would do the same... :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.