AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any dvr that have a clear qam/atsc turner for an old tv? The old tv has a 75 ohm coax input.

Do they or did they make a region 1 vcr with a ATSC and/or qam turner?

Also, are there any clear qam digital turners that you can legally buy besides tivo for older tvs?

Sorry if posted in the wrong forum and thank you for this information.

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
For a SDTV your best bet would be a Magnavox 2160 DVD recorder with a built in DVR(hdd) it has a ATSC/clear QAM tuner. It doesn't have a built in RF modulator(no DVDRs do) but you can pick one up for less than $20 at places like Walmart or Radio Shack. Check the sticky thread for everything you'd want to know about the Magnavox.

VCRs don't really have regions like DVD players, foreign VCRs would be a different system like PAL or SECAM which aren't compatible with our NTSC system. The only VCRs that I'm aware of with a digital tuner were a few DVHS VCRs that recorded in HD. Most if not all new combos(DVDR with VHS section) limit the digital recording to DVD only and most if not all current combos are a bad bet. If you want to copy video tapes to DVD you're best getting the Maggy and feeding it's line input with your VHS players line output.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/16957957

For a SDTV your best bet would be a Magnavox 2160 DVD recorder with a built in DVR(hdd) it has a ATSC/clear QAM tuner. It doesn't have a built in RF modulator(no DVDRs do) but you can pick one up for less than $20 at places like Walmart or Radio Shack. Check the sticky thread for everything you'd want to know about the Magnavox.

VCRs don't really have regions like DVD players, foreign VCRs would be a different system like PAL or SECAM which aren't compatible with our NTSC system. The only VCRs that I'm aware of with a digital tuner were a few DVHS VCRs that recorded in HD. Most if not all new combos(DVDR with VHS section) limit the digital recording to DVD only and most if not all current combos are a bad bet. If you want to copy video tapes DVD you're best getting the Maggy and feeding it's line input with your VHS players line output.

There are some dvrs that did have a rf modulator. Not sure if it was NTSC or ATSC. You could get them at wal-mart. It didn't have a qam turner.

Won't the conversion cause all the channels to show in black and white instead of color?

Edit, I may have to be a little more patient and wait tell Comcast Pace DC50X Digital Transport Adapter is available for my area. They are already moving some of the limited basic channel to digital but keeping them on limited basic. I am actual getting tired of waiting. I think they are free or only cost a small one time fee. Could depend what area you are in. Yes, I am on comcast.

·
Registered
11,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by groze /forum/post/16959621

There are some dvrs that did have a rf modulator. Not sure if it was NTSC or ATSC.

They were combos, I'm not aware of any DVDRs only that have a built in RF modulator and certinly none would have a ATSC modulator. Just a ATSC modulator currently costs several thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by groze /forum/post/16959621

. . . I may have to be a little more patient and wait tell Comcast Pace DC50X Digital Transport Adapter is available for my area. They are already moving some of the limited basic channel to digital but keeping them on limited basic. I am actual getting tired of waiting. I think they are free or only cost a small one time fee. Could depend what area you are in. Yes, I am on comcast.

In this post I describe my use and include a few photos of the Comcast Pace DC50X DTA:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post16950672

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.