AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the title of this thread you can certainly tell I'm new to the realm of AVR's and real home theater systems. Like many people looking to make the jump to a real system, as compared to a HTIB, the sheer volume of options and variations is daunting to say the least.

With that said are there any general rules in purchasing an AVR?

As the AVR is basically the brains of the operation, does it make sense to spend as much as you can?

Would buying a low end receiver be a mistake and have a tangible impact on sound quality?

Does it make sense to purchase a 7.1 system even if you don't need all the additional outputs compared to a 5.1 setup?

Are there any specific specs which are industry standard such as power ratings ect?

Do you need to match the AVR to the speakers, or speakers to the AVR?

Really just looking for some general advice and clarification.

·
Registered
932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkim /forum/post/19595555

Do you need to match the AVR to the speakers, or speakers to the AVR?

Any quality made receiver is going to sound decent with quality speakers. I would choose the one that has less problems and has the best build quality. Try to look at Yamaha or Denon for something that works and has the least headaches. Try to get a receiver from last years models on sale on the internet from an authorized dealer. Don't pay more than $500 for a receiver and you can get a great one for much less than that. Most receivers today are 7.1 and most that are just 5.1 are the bottom of the barrel. Make sure the receiver you have is an HDMI receiver that decodes the latest HD audio(DD True HD/DTS Master Audio). Most new receivers the last two years do but just double check. One more bit of advice...once you get a receiver and speakers that YOU like and that sound good to YOU...ENJOY them and don't listen to every other AVS wannabe expert on audio because you can ALWAYS get something better.

Good luck...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Yamaha RX-V667 looks nice. Why?

I have had good luck with Yamaha, so I can recommend the brand.

It's a "sweet" spot receiver with good power for the price - you would have to pay quite a bit more for a substantial jump in power.

It has all the latest features, so you are up to date (but not future proof, there is no such thing, IMO.)

The above mention of Denon makes sense as they have always seemed to be a quality brand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts