AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for asking a noob question, but are there any good dvd/receiver combo units out there? I ask because it would be nice to have 1 unit with reciever, AM/FM tuner, dvd player (with dvd audio) and cd player. Less wires to run.

·
Registered
635 Posts
What's "less" wires?

As far as an all in one unit is concerned, all of the "bigger" names, Harmon/Kardon for example, sell a HTIB (Home Theater In a Box), BUT, it comes as two seperate pieces - DVD player, and receiver.

To be honest, I really don't know of many systems out there that won't compromise sound, or won't be worth the trouble of you connecting a couple cables once and sit until whenever.

If there are such units readily available, I'm eager to learn!

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is an idea that made sense to me: spend money on one good set of power supplies, DACs and decoders instead of two. Especially for pure digital designs, and high resolution formats like SACD. There was a Sony ES model AVD-S50ES that was integrated, but looks like they stopped production of this unit, and it was never highly rated in reviews anyway. You might be able to pick one up used for dirt cheap.

My guess is that with the new blue laser formats on the horizon, no vendors wants to have customers with the old format player stuck inside their receiver. Especially sad since those new formats are taking so long to materialize!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.