AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen any movies lately were there have been a great villain in the movie ?

I just feel that it's been a long time since someone did a villain really well.

Or are the roles/characters victims of PG13 ?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I nominate Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem) from No Country for Old Men. Cold, methodical, and while he's a killer, he has a code that requires he keep his word.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg /forum/post/20847411

I nominate Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem) from No Country for Old Men. Cold, methodical, and while he's a killer, he has a code that requires he keep his word.

I agree. Bardem's performance as Chigurh in No Country for Old Men is in my movie villans hall of fame.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik /forum/post/20847356

Or are the roles/characters victims of PG13 ?

Thats one of the problem, the other is of course that some bad guys are not written as good(bad) as they needed to be. Also add that they sometimes is miscast, sometimes to much cgi to be scary, and sometimes just bad directed and not very well edited.

There are plenty of good exampels were the movies actually manage to have a bad guy that works for the movie.

We have the classic bad guy thats so despicable that you just want to find him and kill him yourself (preferably with a spoon). (Dirty Harry)

A bad guy sometimes needs to be more complex then just being evil. He should be in the border land between good and evil. So the viewer can understand (not sympathise) with the bad guy. (The Rock Movie)

And he needs to better then the good guy, the hero is never stronger then his foe. (The Terminator)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, villains can be in more or less any genré.

So it could be e.g. Anton Chigurh or The Terminator.

But nowdays I think the "villains" are more like thugs or bullies.

Rather than a "mastermind" or "menace".

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20847826

Joker from The Dark Knight.

I agree. The Joker in The Dark Knight is a lot more complex than it seems, partly because his backstory is never fully explained. He's mysterious, crazy, merciless, yet we'd like to know him more, what made him like that. Of course, Ledger more than nailed it. It's the last "great villain" I've seen to date, the kind of character we "love to hate".

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/20847733

I agree. Bardem's performance as Chigurh in No Country for Old Men is in my movie villans hall of fame.

Yeah, I have to agree Bardem's nastiness is beyond reproach (of course, I am excluding ex-wives here).

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20849935

Also, Jigsaw from Saw 1-4 (the only good ones). Great multi-dimensional villain.

ah, yes I forgot about him! ...and an actor with an inimitable voice!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Of the Dr. Mabuse, master criminal sort of villain:

Buddy Pine/Syndrome: The Incredibles

Thump: Winter's Bone

Of the complicated, not totally evil sort:

Erik Lehnsherr/Magneto: in the earlier X-Men films

Raven Darkholme/Mystique: X-2

Cao Cao: Red Cliffs do the Cao Cao boogie

Arthur Leigh Allen: Zodiac evil but very sick

Of the Man You Love to Hate variety:

Sebastian Shaw: X-Men: First Class

Lord Naritsugu Matsudaira: 13 Assassins can measure up to any villain, anywhere

Vidal: Pan's Labyrinth

... to name but a few. Any paucity of great villains can at least be partly traced to a lack of good writing.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did come up with one villain just now

Christoph Waltz as Col. Hans Landa in Inglorious Basterds.

A really sleazy, charismatic villain

You have come up with a couple of good villains, maybe what is missing (in my opionion of course) is the combination of a good villain and a "dark" movie.

Probably a good example is No Country for Old Men, good villain and not so much "heroism" or necessarily a happy ending.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.