AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 10HT but are there any alternatives in the $3000-4500 price range? Maybe I'm looking for pie-in-the-sky but I don't want the hush-box solution. Is there anything with a 30-34db fan noise level? Is there anything out there that is as qiet as a 10HT? Just so you know my priorities run toward the audio side and I could be perfectly happy with the picture of a 10HT, I just know I could get similar performance or better for less cash but every other projector is just so damn loud! And I really don't want an HDTV because it would be strictly for dvd watching. Please somebody, help me out...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm very noise sensitive too. The Sony Cineza is quiet. The Panasonic 701XU is very quiet at 28db. The Piano is 32db, and the Infocus LS110 should be around 34db.

When investigating a projector it's one of the first things I want to know, behind contrast, brightness, and resolution that is.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Plus Piano is reportedly quiet (34db) for $3K. It should be better than Cineza (both SVGA) due to superior Faroujda (? spelling) deinterlacer and much better contrast. It's a DLP with new 240 Hz (4x) color wheel to minimize rainbows (color separation artifacts), and 848X480 DMD to allow 800X600 (4:3 mode) and 848X480 (16:9 mode). Its 480 panel means no scaling on interlaced DVD. No need for progressive DVD as it'll deinterlace for you and convert 480i to 480p internally. You could do 480p via DVI and HTPC if you want to use HTPC. I feel it's a better option than the Cineza especially when LCD means more screendoor and possible dead pixels, green fog, dust blobs (3 panels means 3 times the risk of DLP's single panel) in future. Cineza does have cheaper bulb though ($170 vs. $300)

Of course XGA units will be better in the long run for HDTV and higher resolution (allowing you to sit closer without the pixelization (screendoor effect). If you put the PJ in another room (like a closet) and project through a hole in the wall or door, you may not notice the noise. If you floor mount under a platform and put your couch over the top of the platform (better be a strong one), you can have a built-in hushbox.

The LCD XGA PJ tend to be quieter due to lacking the color wheel and heat of the DLP. The LT150 is rated at 39db and not bothersome to me in the table mount mode. Ceiling mount mode is when it gets noisy (like a little hair dryer).

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Noise is the FIRST issue for me as I have a slight stigmatysm in both eyes anyway and the so-called screen door that bothers most people has little effect on my poor vision. I'm looking at the Cineza, Piano and InFocus units closely and hope they can give a good 100" picture at 12 feet viewing distance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm with you on the noise issue. I looked into the project through a wall idea but it appears that there are no cost effective long throw projector options. Most projectors are designed to be placed in front of the viewer.

-Charles

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
The Sharp 9000 is quite quiet, especially in the 600 lumen "theater mode". The new Hitachi LCOS is also supposed to be about the same as the Sharp, and a couple of thousand bucks cheaper to boot.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Not sure the Piano would be great for a 100" picture from 12'. It only has 450 lumens. And it uses the DVDo scaler, not the Faroudja. It's the Infocus LS110 (and the Toshiba MT5 clone) that uses the Faroudja. If that matters to you.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The VT540 comes close at 35db in economy mode (37 in standard mode). It really is fairly quiet, XGA, HDTV & anamorphic lens compatible, and can be had for
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I run my LP530 in "low power" mode and rarely, if ever notice the fan. About the same as my CLD704 laserdisc player. Not much of a difference brightness-wise either.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Check out the upcomming Optoma EZPro 755 (at projectorcentral.com). 2000 Lumens DLP, it claims ** 32db ** and 800:1 contrast. Come with a Sil 504 chip similar but newer generation than the Piano's. I was quoted a price of just under $4200.

With a bright 2000 lumens, a 100" screen won't be a problem, not sure if it will do it @ 12' though.

Since it's a DLP, is rainbow an issue for you?

regards

·
Registered
456 Posts
You can get info on the new Optomas at www.optoma.co.uk. Nice case. They only claim 600:1 contrast now though. Still would be great if the price is right.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Holy Moly. 1000:1 contrast, 29db, true 720p, and FIREWIRE in (IEEE1394) in! Spec wise, this would be an ideal PJ for me. Sure the price is outta my range though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.