·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...or if anyone has good reviews of any micro shelf systems please share. I'm not closed to the idea of buying an already put together 2.0 system. Just wanna see what options I got.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea, i saw that, problem is that it doesn't have any aux inputs. The model above it does, but that is $400 bucks.

I dont have speakers, i'm actually thinking about getting it as a gift for someone, looking to spend around $200. I know there's a bunch of sony's and panasonics in that price range, but I want something NICE, like denon or onkyo. I might have to end up looking for used

Oh, as far as the reciever by itself, there are some polk speakers on new egg for $90 a pair, monitor 30, so if there are any decent micro recievers out there i was thinking i could match them up with the polks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks man.

I really really dont like sony, based off what ive heard their audio is horrible. Their features are definitely nice, but im just not a fan of the sound quality. I saw a few jvc and sharp mini systems, anyone have any experience...?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a JVC micro component system (UX-A5) that has served me well for 20 years and which currently provides very nice music on my computer at work. The sound is excellent and, obviously, it has been reliable. I also have a somewhat more recent vintage Yamaha mini-component system (GX-5) which I use on my home computer. The sound isn't as good (despite the speakers being larger) but it's not bad.

I would say if you stick to JVC, Denon, Onkyo or Yamaha and shop around you should be able to find something good. If you have the time watch the eBay auctions and you can pick up systems incredibly cheaply (the Yamaha was about $50 including shipping).

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Teac makes stuff like what you're looking for. Look into the Teac AG-h500 for example.

Emp Tek makes a tiny integrated amp which seems to suit your purpose. However its pre-amp section is tube-based, so maintenance may be a question mark.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Micro components are huge over in the UK & Europe. I recently bought a Teac CR-H238i refurbished @ JR Electronics and I think its very good. I've also heard the Denon DM37 with the supplied speakers, its also good but you're better off buying the reciever unit separately and opting for better speakers. I paired my Teac with Cambridge Audio S30's and I am totally impressed. You can even use the line out on the Teac, I have mine going into a vintage Onkyo amp. I would say that the CD section is easily better than the full size Pioneer CD component it replaced. Also has all kinds of connections for ipod, subwoofer, etc. I suspect that micro size components, or "hi-fi" as they say in the UK, are very underestimated over here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts