AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the last time this question was asked, it triggered tension in the middle east, but if we can keep on topic (please?) it would be of interest to all that frequent this area.

Thought #1: I actually called JVC and spoke to a kind girl who said there were lots of tapes coming out for this thing. While she really isn't in the know about the 30K and had never seen it, she said she was surprised how many titles were in the works.

No, I won't give her name or email, I came across her by accident, and she was really helpful and friendly. She must be on the software side of things and I know she isn't the person to address the hardware problems with. (but I did send her a link to our forum so JVC can see what is going on and what our concerns are).

Thought #2: There is nothing anywhere referring to new titles announcements! Ususally the lead time is somewhere between 90 and 30 days for titles to be announced and then make their way to the distributers, resellers and retailers.

Can we assume that there won't be anything new for the next three months?

I bought my unit strictly for playback, I don't have a digital tuner or oval dish. While I have bought most of the tapes, I would be extremely displeased if they came out this infrequently. If anything I expected the releases to pick up!

what are your (non-hardware related) thoughts?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
My thoughts are that if you are relying on D-Theater titles to warrant this type of investment, you should have done a better job researching this whole thing. D-Theater is a joke as far as title releases go. You'll be lucky to see 4 or five titles ina given month and be luckier still if any of them actually appeals to you. You defintiely need to shore up your investment with 1080i movies taped off HBO and Showtime.

·
Registered
340 Posts
How exactly could a person record a "1080i" movie from HBO or Showtime?

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mitchgtz
I know the last time this question was asked, it triggered tension in the middle east, but if we can keep on topic (please?) it would be of interest to all that frequent this area.

what are your (non-hardware related) thoughts?
If you read the transcript on The Digital Bits of that 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment rep, he indicated (briefly) Fox's solid support for the format. Also. he said that "exciting" things will be coming with the Alien movies.

Since the DVD box set was pretty great, you have to wonder whether he was talking a DTheater box set.

Don't let the nay sayers depress you. The comments seem to come from nouveau videophiles who have no idea of the history of videophile formats. They seem to think DVD is the beginning and end.

Prior to DVD, the LaserDisc ruled the videophile world and immense love and effort went into producing spectacular releases on that. This is because in addition to being to content creators, the directors and producers are also movie fans and want the best quality for their own home theaters.

All I read now is completely bent opinions that numbers are everything. and nothing will come out in DTheater because the Lucas' and Spielbergs' are greedy.

DVD were delayed because of PIRACY concerns, not numbers. DTheater is a format that has four major studios backing it specifically because of the satisfactory protection.

They clearly don't know about, or choose to ignore, the Star Wars Definitive and ET Limited Edition LD box sets. Less than 10000 were INTENDED to be manufactured of each. And these, and many others, are examples of the love and care that people used to put into LD.

And, videophiles were willing to pay $100 - $200 for a box set.

You can be sure that Lucas and Spielberg are already DTheater owners. DTheater may be rather elitist. DTheater will probably always be limited production. When special stuff comes out it will be expensive. But, that doesn't mean it won't be important and exciting.

The sole DTheater deck is only THREE months into major promotion. DTheater has already had a day and date title. Let's see where it is NEXT December. It may surprise many.

Gary

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Gary,

You have the right idea.So does WSR-in spades.That makes 2 Gary's!:)

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pbo
How exactly could a person record a "1080i" movie from HBO or Showtime?
are you kidding?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dialog_gvf
If you read the transcript on The Digital Bits of that 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment rep, he indicated (briefly) Fox's solid support for the format. Also. he said that "exciting" things will be coming with the Alien movies.

Since the DVD box set was pretty great, you have to wonder whether he was talking a DTheater box set.

Don't let the nay sayers depress you. The comments seem to come from nouveau videophiles who have no idea of the history of videophile formats. They seem to think DVD is the beginning and end.

Prior to DVD, the LaserDisc ruled the videophile world and immense love and effort went into producing spectacular releases on that. This is because in addition to being to content creators, the directors and producers are also movie fans and want the best quality for their own home theaters.

All I read now is completely bent opinions that numbers are everything. and nothing will come out in DTheater because the Lucas' and Spielbergs' are greedy.

DVD were delayed because of PIRACY concerns, not numbers. DTheater is a format that has four major studios backing it specifically because of the satisfactory protection.

They clearly don't know about, or choose to ignore, the Star Wars Definitive and ET Limited Edition LD box sets. Less than 10000 were INTENDED to be manufactured of each. And these, and many others, are examples of the love and care that people used to put into LD.

And, videophiles were willing to pay $100 - $200 for a box set.

You can be sure that Lucas and Spielberg are already DTheater owners. DTheater may be rather elitist. DTheater will probably always be limited production. When special stuff comes out it will be expensive. But, that doesn't mean it won't be important and exciting.

The sole DTheater deck is only THREE months into major promotion. DTheater has already had a day and date title. Let's see where it is NEXT December. It may surprise many.

Gary
The failed logic contained within the above quoted post is in the assumption that all format changes are alike and therefore repeatable history. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I'm sure most people could care less about the track record of VHS, LD or DVD -- each one experiencing a different breakout relative to timing, economics, support and home theater entertainment expectations -- when it comes to pinning their hopes on this new format, which for many represents a regressive step due to its dependency on tape.

D-Theater exists as an early stage delivery system of HD movies to those households that have HD capable displays -- approximately 2.5 million sold to date if you read the consumer reports. JVC came up with a suitable encryption in order to placate those studios willing to become a part of this niche. We're talking about 4 out of 12. Most of the others have a different agenda including being tied in to other electronic giants so their abstention is almost a certainty. Add to that the belief that HD DVD is within sight (1-3 years) and you can see why support is tepid at best even from the studios that have signed on. On top of everything else is the growing scrutiny these studios have with respect to their profit and losses, stock value and business decisions. Imagine in this day and age advocating a position that costs your company money with little or no return combined with a future that is cloudy at best.

This is why you see no more than a couple of titles here and there. It's also a problem if JVC is the only compnay charged with the responsibility of mastering these tapes for consumption. We've already heard of many production line problems in Japan relevant to this.

Finally, there is the problem with the only machine capable of playback for these limited movies. I truly believe those problems will eventually go away and the unit will be restored to being reliable with the help of many here on AVS helping JVC to find the answers.

In order for anyone to get full value for their unit, they must use it for features other than D-Theater. That means recording and or playback of movies captured from HD HBO or HD Showtime or HDNet or OTA Network shows like CSI etc. D-Theater alone is a dead end I'm afraid. D-Theater combined with the other sources I have mentioned can be fun, exhilarating and totally worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Its a niche market and always will be. What can you expect 27 titles released this year so far. I think 29 will be released by years end.

What worries me is that you'd expect now to be a big time for releases ( ie holiday purchases)

If we are expecting big things for next year. It seems your only going to get them from fox.

Realistically, there are never going to be mass movie released but the Alien series and Die Hard sets might be as good as Dtheatre gets.

Personally,

I think it would be really cool if Artisan started releasing more titles, they own alot of the Arnie line.

On a side note It would be extremely nice if Dreamworks would release Perdition next year on Dtheatre :) One can dream can't they?

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeM

The failed logic contained within the above quoted post is in the assumption that all format changes are alike and therefore repeatable history. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Quite the opposite. I think the DTheater FORMAT is completely different, so judging its success or failure at this stage is unfair and premature.

I am saying the adopters are the same. People don't change that much. The same people willing to pay $100 for an LD are those buying into DTheater.

But, right now its a niche within a niche (elite quality within HD).

I agree with you about the limitations of uses being a factor that will hold back purchases of the hardware (specifically the lack of IEEE in current generation STBs). But, that isn't the fault of the format, or a permanent situation (otherwise HD-PVR and recordable HD-DVD aren't going to happen either).

Let's wait a year before pronouncing judgement.

As for DTheater being ultimately a dead format, that goes without saying. So are DVD and HD-DVD.

But, if HD-DVD is only broadcast-rate HD (19.4Mbps) that will mean DTheater will have an indefinite lifespan. It can only be killed by equal or better.

Gary

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank527

Its a niche market and always will be. What can you expect 27 titles released this year so far. I think 29 will be released by years end.

What worries me is that you'd expect now to be a big time for releases ( ie holiday purchases)

I agree. But, there seems to be a feeling that niche == failure. Not true, there can be a magic to niche formats.

It is too early to expect major number of releases. The software comes AFTER the hardware.

Why would people be buying DTheater tapes for people that don't own DTheater decks? Perhaps some decks will be purchased this season, and that will lead to software demand next year.

Next December is the judgement point. Let's see where things are next year.

IEEE equipped STBs will arrive.

This holiday season lots of HD sets may be purchased.

Sharp is apparently going to release a DTheater deck.

JVC will probably release new decks.

More titles will be released.

Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.