AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
I do know that JVC is supposidly finishing up their DTS 24/96 encoder at the D-VHS mastering facility for their second generation D-VHS/D-Theater High Definition tape player with DTS Digital Out capability. I guess the four current major studios supporting D-VHS 1080i HDTV movie releases (Fox, Artisan, DreamWorks, and Universal) are interested in using this DTS feature when it's available.

On Region 1 DVD I haven't seen any movies yet. A couple of DVD-Audio discs, but that's about it.

Dan

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you want to try it out, the new Queen "Night at the Opera" DVD-Audio has DTS 94/24 in DVD-Video mode. Also, the 2-disc special edition of Se7en has a short demo of the opening title sequence on the second disc in DTS 96/24 with picture.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
You really do not want DTS 24/96 on DVD Video disc because picture quality will suffer a lot. Six channel DTS 24/96 runs at over 4 Mbps which leaves less than 6 Mbps max for video. Any movie with a lot of action and you will have digital artifacts galore. BTW, DTS 24/96 was really developed for use on DVD Audio discs to provide quality as close as possible to PCM track. Also you need a decoder that will decode full resolution. All DTS decoders will play DTS 24/96 but to get full quality you need real DTS 24/96 decoder. Otherwise you will just hear qaulty no better than 20/48.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You are wrong. DTS at 24/96 is for dvd video is encoded at 1500kb which is the full bitrate dts in theaters and in which a handfull of dvd's have already use for regular dts. SO it would be fine to use dts 24/96 on dvd's if not a lot of other languga tracks were used.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Savageone79,

You are wrong. What is used in theaters runs 1509Kbps and it is only 20/48. This is so called full rate DTS on DVD. There are some discs like that.

For example early titles from Dreamworks, Universal, first three Lethal Weapon Director Cut editions and Twister SE. DTS 24/96 was developed for DVD Audio period. It runs at over 4Mbps.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
No you are wrong. I know what full bitrate dvd is 1509kb i was just rounding becuase i didnt have the exact figure off hand. yes i realize that it has been used for 20/48 but a standard has been reached to include 24/96 dts audio in future dvd releases. They have agreed upon 1509kb as the compression rate to use for dvd video dts at 24/96. If you look it up on the web you will find articles on this. I realize that they have a version of it used for dvd audio discs that run at 4mb but this is different.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Your Both Right-

Its adjustable from ~1.5 to 4.0 MBPS.

Since the maximum for DVD-VIDEO is 1.5, then DTS 96/24 can only be 1.5 on A DVD-V player. I have no idea about DVD-A players.

Anyway, technically, DTS 96/24 is 2 signals. You have the 48khz signal running at 1.1 MBPS, and the 'piggyback' 96khz signal running at 0.4 MBPS.

Very interesting.

Here is a great article that will answer all your questions. A little technical, but the juicy stuff is near the bottom.

http://www.tagmclarenaudio.com/members/news/news31.asp

-Nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.