AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or any other method of adding another digital audio input?

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
If every one of your digital inputs is already used it's a little trickier but bear in mind that if by chance you do have an unused input thats simply not the right format.. for example an unused coaxial input, but what you need to input is optical (or vice versa), there are converters for about 35.00

------------------

Dan

Mitsubishi 55805

Dish 6000

DirecTv/Mitsu SR-HD400

Evu 6000

·
Registered
604 Posts
If I am reading your question properly....

I have a simple Radio Shack TOS-link switch, four into one if I recall. Cost maybe 20 bucks. Pretty hard to buise an optical signal ;-) . Works fine with two AC3 outputs into an integrated amp with a single optical input.

If I misread then please be slightly more clear.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
321 Posts
AudioAuthority makes a small switcher with auto signal detection or manual switching. It takes in four optical or coax signals and simultaneously outputs both optical and coax - doing the conversions as well.

------------------

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I just want to add that I have the AA 1177 and it works great...all the time. Not only is it an auto switch but it can be used as a manual switch also.

It is 2" H X 6" Long and about 5" deep. It is powered by a "wall wart" power converter.

I highly recommend it to anyone who has run out of digital audio inputs.

Lee

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lee,

What happens if it detects two inputs? I just got a 501 to use along side my 6000, both have optical out and my DVD is using the coax. I want to switch back in forth between the STB's without shuting one off. Will I have to use it as a manual switch since they both are sending out a signal? I can't think of any other way to do it, unless there is a switch that works with remote control.

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The AudioAuthority 1177 will work, at $135 it's kind of expensive.

The Radio Shack manual switch is $30 http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1586

I am already combining the coax and optical port using the "auto detect" feature on amp, but now I need one more connection.

I don't want a manual switch, so I guess I will get the 1177 unless someone knows of something else.

Thanks,

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Glenn,

The way the auto part works is that there is priority of which input is connected...in order of 1,2,3 and 4. So you have to use a little planning as far as which equipment is hooked to what input.

Just by pressing a button selects the input with an LED changing from Red to Green to show that it is connected.

There is no remote control with it. There are other units that are more complicated and with more inputs. There is a company called MSB Technologies that makes/made a unit called the Digital Director that in essense did the same thing only with I believe 6 inputs and cost about $300.

You might try a web search for MSB.

Lee

·
Registered
856 Posts
Lee - I just got my Audio Authority # 1177 in the mail today, and read one of your earlier posts where you mentioned a flaw in that the 1177 picks up a signal from a DTC-100 even when the DTC-100 is turned off (maybe this is more of a flaw in the DTC). Did that turn out not to be a problem, or did you find a way to work around it? If not, I'm bumming. Thanks, -Rick

·
Registered
856 Posts
Assume I have already bought the Audio Authority # 1177 and that I had reasons for wanting this one to work. An earlier post mentioned a flaw in that the 1177 picks up a signal from a DTC-100 even when the DTC-100 is turned off (maybe this is more of a flaw in the DTC). Did that turn out not to be a problem, was there a way to work around it? Thanks, -Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.