AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I read on here something about OTA tuner only boxes (I don't read this message board all the time; usually in spurts). Are there such things now and how much do they cost? At this point, I'd want the Cleveland OTA channels more than HBO or Showtime (since I watch mostly DVDs for movies and HBO Pans and Scans their HDTV movies). It's not really worth $850 plus the $50-some odd dollars a month I'd need to pay to completely switch my programming over from cable to satellite at this time (and I can't get Sears to price match lower without taking out the "free" installation or "free" 2nd room receiver).

I'm thinking Panasonic RP91 DVD player and possibly an OTA tuner to watch the networks on for now if there is such a thing. Or is it really worth that much for HBO P&S HDTV and whatever Showtime offers? I'm sure if Discovery HDTV was online, I'd be a bit more enticed. I don't have time to watch much regular tv the way it is (I usually watch DVDs on my days off).

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I paid $385 for a 3 month old RCA DTC-100 that works perfectly.

I subscribe to Direct TV's HBO only package for only $12/month......and that gets me 8 channels of HBO (including HBO HD), the HD PPV/Demo loop channel (199) and a few other freebie channels throw in (Sundance, religious programming, etc).

I have kept my extended basic cable for $40/month for my other 5 TV's just for convience and cost purposes, but for my 65857, I wanted the OTA HD and HBO HD...and I have to say it is WELL worth it.

I just watched The Patriot on HBO HD tonight and it look really really good. I rented the DVD, and I prefer the 1080i picture from HBO, over my 480p picture from my DVD player.

In short, look for an RCA DTC-100. They are very affordable, even new....and get Direct TV for their HBO only package (yes, my total monthly bill is only $12 flat).

------------------
Jon

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
If all you want is an OTA solution, you should try the accessDTV PC card. For $479, you get HDTV OTA on your Televsion as well as the ability to record for timeshifting.

You can read all about it in the HTPC forum but please DO NOT get spooked about needing a dedicated PC, since you don't need one.

I have a PC running Windows 2000 and it is used as a general purpose PC.

Finally, someone has made a true plug and play HDTV tuner card that works.

I got this card 2 weeks ago, plugged it in, rebooted and Windows installed the software. Took all of 5 minutes to be up and running.

Joe

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Gilbert:
At this point, I'd want the Cleveland OTA channels more than HBO or Showtime (since I watch mostly DVDs for movies and HBO Pans and Scans their HDTV movies). It's not really worth $850 plus the $50-some odd dollars a month I'd need to pay to completely switch my programming over from cable to satellite at this time.
If you do the install yourself, the upfront cost is no where near $850. For example, you could get a Dish Network model 6023 (a model 6000 receiver, 2 dishes, and all the h/w you need for install) for $200 (=~$400-$199rebate): http://www.dishusa.com/cgi-local/sho...e=sys6023.html http://www.dishdepot.com/Cart/descri...724.221.177.83

So, it is only $200 upfront (after rebate). Yes, this does require a year of service at $40/month or higher including Top100. Want terrestrial HDTV too? Pick up the 8VSB module for the model 6000 from Sears for only $99: http://www.sears.com/sr/framework/ho...ummary.jsp&ver tical=SEARS&pid=05739371000

Ugly link, eeew.

Thus, only $300 +$42/month to get HBO-HDTV. HB

I'm sure DirecTV has similar equipment subsidy deals, so if you don't want Dish Network, then find such a deal for DirecTV.

Yeah, HBO trims the movies a bit . . . but unless you love CBS TV shows, it is the best HDTV programming available.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Anyone know what generation chipset is used in the receiver?

I would like to replace the E* 6000 module with a 3rd generation tuner.

SM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.