AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have a simple 2.1 system in a small room, using an Epson 8350 projector along with the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS Digital Cinema which has an optical in as well as analog in's. The optical in is needed to allow the Digital Cinema to decode the digital signal into virtual surround. As far as I know, the analog inputs won't do that.

Without getting into all the pros/cons of 2.1, virtual surround, etc, my question is, is there a Home Theater receiver or processor, with HDMI switching, that can extract the audio from the HDMI, and output it via optical? I'd be using the receiver/processor strictly as a switcher for now, and then later, that same receiver in a full blown 5.1/7.1 system, with "real" speakers (though the Digital Cinema sounds great).

The source I am using right now, a Roku, does not have optical out, hence my dilemma.

I have found cheap switches of various configurations that can extract the audio from HDMI:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Matrix-Digital-Surround/dp/B0031SWDKI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395086953&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+switch+optical

So it's obviously technically easy to do.

I know from research that of the few receiver/processors that might still have optical outputs, they mostly (all?) can NOT extract the audio from the HDMI.

I know questions of this type have been asked before, but I am wondering if any new information has surfaced.

Thanks...

--

Bill

·
Registered
865 Posts
You may be out of luck. All the receivers I've used defaults to HDMI audio when HDMI is used. I don't think there is an option to use the optical. If all you are looking for is virtual surround the two analogue channels should do fine since the "virtual" part of the surround is the decoding of a stereo signal instead of using a 5.1 signal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts