AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, the connection recommendations for majority of the DVD player (even the new Philips 1080p upconversion player) is that HDMI out from DVD goes to TV and TOSLINK/ digital coax goes to receiver.

Are there any upconverting player

It appears that Samsung DVD-AR650 (which retails for $219 in the local walmart, but has hi-def recorder(??), ATSC/QAM tuner too) passes through HDMI 1.3.

Does the sub $200 oppo/Denon/Sony players player support HDMI 1.3?

Also I am assuming that all the TV's (I have Olevia 537h) with HDMI input would be able to passthrough the multi channel audio from the HDMI input to the TOSLINK/digital coax. Is that assumption correct? Nobody seems to explicitly claim that in their manual.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikb /forum/post/0

Are there any upconverting player

Um, how would that reduce the number of cables? Either you got an HDMI into the TV and a Toslink out of the TV, or an HDMI into the TV and a Toslink from the player into the receiver. By my count, it's two either way.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If HDMI 1.3 is supported by the player)

- 1 HDMI cable for Player to TV

- 1 TOSLINK cable from TV to receiver (for multi channel sound from HDTV and DVD player)

if not supported, you need one more TOSLINK cable from the player to receiver to enjoy multi-channel sound from DVD, otherwise the TOSLINK from TV to receiver will transport PCM stereo when DVD is being played.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikb /forum/post/0

Also I am assuming that all the TV's (I have Olevia 537h) with HDMI input would be able to passthrough the multi channel audio from the HDMI input to the TOSLINK/digital coax. Is that assumption correct? Nobody seems to explicitly claim that in their manual.

This is not a correct assumption. A few points:

1) I believe your TV supports V1.0 of HDMI, so you don't need to spend any extra for a player that supports higher than that.

2) The TV likely manipulates the audio that it reads in from HDMI before sending it out via the S/PDIF connection. That's almost never a good thing. S/PDIF can only carry a fraction of the audio data that HDMI can carry, so it's not possible to "pass-through" in some cases anyway. DVD's will never contain the formats that V1.3 added.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.