AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two months ago I purchased a Sony KD34XBR2 and have recently become interested in digital VCR's. Primarily I think the use would be playing pre-recorded movies, but I definitely want the ability to record OTA HD signals from my TV. Problem is, after sorting through hundreds of posts, I'm no closer to finding an answer to this question than I was a couple months ago.

Are there any digital VCRs that can reliably record OTA content from the Sony KD34XBR2 ATSC tuner?

Some people say it can't be dont because they've heard it can't, some say that the Sony doesn't even send any data out through its firewire and NO VCR would work, but then some say they've done it and have the tapes to prove it. Any word if Sony is releasing a D-VHS VCR that can record OTA HD signals?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Either Mits or JVC will work, take your pick.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yesterday, at a CA AV store (Good Guys) I saw the Mitsubishi D-VHS VCR record and play back 1080i material (some PBS travel footage). It was quite stunning. And at $1000 with ATSC tuner, about half the price of the JVC, which does not include an ATSC tuner.

However, its only output is Firewire. Works well with the new Mitsubishi HDTV that it was connected to. It might work with other HDTVs that have Firewire inputs (JVC, Sony, etc?)

Mitsubishi is supposed to come out with a similar model that's about $300 less. Aside from the price, the difference is no VHS support.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frogger1980
Yesterday, at a CA AV store (Good Guys) I saw the Mitsubishi D-VHS VCR record and play back 1080i material (some PBS travel footage). It was quite stunning. And at $1000 with ATSC tuner, about half the price of the JVC, which does not include an ATSC tuner.

However, its only output is Firewire. Works well with the new Mitsubishi HDTV that it was connected to. It might work with other HDTVs that have Firewire inputs (JVC, Sony, etc?)

Mitsubishi is supposed to come out with a similar model that's about $300 less. Aside from the price, the difference is no VHS support.
$1000 is NOT half the price of a JVC when you can buy the JVC for $1099. It is about 10% less according to the type of math I understand.

Are there really people out there thinking that ANYONE would pay list price for the JVC???

bb

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frogger1980
And at $1000 with ATSC tuner, about half the price of the JVC, which does not include an ATSC tuner.
The Mits DVHS recorder does not include an ATSC tuner.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Gridleak, I was repeating what the sales guy told me, but after doing some research, I agree with you that the Mits HS-HD2000U does not have an ATSC tuner. It relies on the HDTV to provide the data. But at least it works.

The store couldn't give a demo of the JVC D-VHS VCR.

As for JVC pricing being less than list, I've seen people on this forum claim to have bought the Mits for under $500.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been looking at the Mitsubishi D-VCR, but it doesn't support D-Theater. Does this mean that all the tapes that are being released as D-Theater can't be played on the Mitsubishi? If so, then what if D-Theater it becomes the standard for ALL prerecorded content - then the VCR would seem kind of useless...

Since I've seen rumors about it being discontinued at Tweeter maybe Mits is actually planning on discontinuing it and replacing it with a model that does support D-Theater?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.