AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Zenith Pro-880 CRT firing onto a 80"x60" screen, and I am in the market for a nice DLP or LCD. I have seen alot of good info about the LT150 and it looks like it can be had for around $2500 new. I might be able to squeeze out a $4000 budget, so I was wondering if there were any other projectors out that might offer more features or better performance. I will be running a progessive DVD player through it and I want it to do anamorphic. I would like a longer throw distance and maybe a little brighter or better contrast. I do have complete light control. I haven't seen the rainbow effect on the few dlp I have seen but I have seen the screendoor on lcd's but it has been awhile since I saw an lcd so maybe with better resolution it's not as noticable.

Let me know what other machines I should look or if I should bother. Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Greg,

Is $4000 a new or used budget? Also, are you interested in changing your screen size at all?

The reason I ask is that with a screen size only http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif 80" wide, you might not want an exceptional bright digital projector.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would prefer new but used with a warranty is a possibility. One concern I didn't mention is size. The WAF is real low with the crt hanging down from the ceiling. My room is 17' deep with the entrance at the rear so I could put something over the door and size might not play into it as much since the wife wouldn't see it till she came in the room

Screen size will have to stay the same. As far as brightness I am pretty happy with the output I get from my crt so super bright is not a huge concern but I do want decent contrast.

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dave

My cable modem was down for 5 days right after I posted my last msg. so I didn't see your response till last night. That is a funny coincidence. Thanks for the info on the lcd I will check into it.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
just speculating,

but i think the WAF would be very high with the LT150 since this is not a huge appliance sitting in the middle (or on the ceiling) of a room. its not even a small appliance.

it's an insanely tiny little appliance that can easily be disconnected and stashed in its case in the closet whenever your not watching movies.

of course getting her to accept the new black ceiling and deep red velvet bordello drapes might take a little more work.

and as Bob Wood pointed out before, something this tiny imparts some of the same feelings you have when you see a little baby. i've been confused by all these new-found paternalistic feelings i've had the last few weeks, until i ran across that post from Bob that put everything into perspective.

at $500 i'm relieved my new 'little one' won't cost too much to rear.

( but when he gets a little older i'm sure i'm gonna have to listen to him whine for a panny and the htpc juice...)

[This message has been edited by ckolchak (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
197 Posts
Greg,

You may want to scroll back a few days and see the message I sent to your post from a week or so ago.

Anyways, I also live in Austin and upgraded from a Zenith Pro-881x (slightly newer than yours) to a NEC LT150. I'm very happy with it, and its a definite upgrade. I would have kept the Zenith, but it wouldn't accept component or deinterlaced sources and I got tired of seeing the scan lines. The LT150 is a major step up in picture quality, and a big improvement in aesthetics.

Email me at [email protected]<dot>com ....I'll probably have a few people over soon for an HT open house once I'm finished.

But, to answer your question, I think the Sanyo XP21N would probably be the next step up from the LT150 at ~$5500. Its an LCD, but very bright, with good contrast, and less screendoor effect than any other LCD I've seen. I considered it and the Sanyo PLV-60 (which has a definite screen door)....If the LT150 were $4K (which it was when I first started considering it) it would have been a tough decision between the LT150 vs XP21n. At $2500, the choice was easy.

-Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.