AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember back when i just learned about the wonders of satellite piracy, i was looking through some board and a lot of people who live in US kept saying what a huge problem ECM's are for them. Yet i know many people who pirate Dish/DirecTV here in Canada and none of them even know what an ECM is. Ok i'm confused. Do they only hit people who live in US? That would make sense since i assume ECM's cost money and since they don't sell their service in Canada anyway, wasting money on people aren't potential customers wouldn't be very smart. Or maybe they are just more rare and my friends are lucky?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Do they only hit people who live in US?
As far as I know, when they send an ECM it hits everyone on the system regardless of location.

Quote:
Yet i know many people who pirate Dish/DirecTV here in Canada and none of them even know what an ECM is.
They may target a specific card with a specific hack.

Quote:
wasting money on people aren't potential customers wouldn't be very smart.
Stealing satellite service is stealing no matter where you live.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by d!abolic
.....a lot of people who live in US kept saying what a huge problem ECM's are for them. Yet i know many people who pirate Dish/DirecTV here in Canada and none of them even know what an ECM is.
Some of the Canadians who "pirate" DirecTV aren't actually pirating at all. They're gray market subscribers going through a U.S. based address broker and billing service. A few of the actual pirates, Canadian and U.S., are using private scripts that haven't been hit because they're using "jump" or entrance points on the cards' EEPROM not generally known to DirecTV for piracy purposes. The ones using "public" jump points know all too well lately that DirectTV is on to them. DirecTV has not undertaken an actual card-killing ECM since last January. They have, though, stepped up another technique, "hashing", that limits or elliminates the pirates' ability to decrypt audio and video without destroying the access card, and whatever public (freeware) scripts the pirates are still getting by with are known to be very vulnerable to whatever DirecTV's next phase is. (Whatever the pirates can freely download off the net, so can DirecTV to reverse engineer for antipiracy purposes - and it would be naive to believe that DirecTV's signal integrity folk don't scour the usual internet sources for the latest piracy card scripts.) One explanation for the lack of real ECMs lately is that it may be DirecTV's choice, at least so far as U.S. individual pirates are concerned, NOT to destroy the cards if they can help it. The theme of this strategy is that DirecTV might feel it's in their best business interest to effectively enough interfere with the ethically challenged's ability to steal the signal that they will consider subscribing a card that's at least still physically usable for a legitimate subscription. (DirecTV doesn't generate revenue from destroying cards. They generate revenue from subscription payments.) I'm not entirely comfortable with that explanation, but, another consideration is that whenever a hash or an ECM goes down the pipe, some legitimate subscribers are affected because a marginal card will erroneously take the "hit" along with the hacked cards. (collateral damage from "friendly fire") An ECM'd legitimate card costs DirecTV money to replace for the hapless subscriber, but a hashed card can often be reactivated by a tech CSR at the push of a button after being notified by the subscriber of the service interruption.

Quote:
Ok i'm confused. Do they only hit people who live in US? That would make sense since i assume ECM's cost money and since they don't sell their service in Canada anyway, wasting money on people aren't potential customers wouldn't be very smart. Or maybe they are just more rare and my friends are lucky?
They hit everyone who's using a card script they're targeting. Once the code has been written, it only takes a push of a button to send the "packets" into the general data stream, and it reaches wherever the satellite beam hits - which means ALL of North America that the DirecTV signal reaches. Another element that may affect who's hit and who's not, is that some antipiracy measures are possibly affecting certain card serial numbers at any given time on a rotating basis. If this is true, then it might stand to reason that some series numbers just haven't taken their turn at bat yet.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
To sum up what Ray and Robert said, stealing DBS can cost more money then actually be a ligit sub, reguardless of location.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.