AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a good thing to wonder. I mean there are price increases headed Sirius/XM customers way on January 2012.

I just wonder if the current packages available to customers will be the same they are now. Or to justify the new price increase, new packages will be available where ALL that both companies have to offer will be available to any customer, old or new? And whether or not you have a Sirius radio, or an XM radio?

In other words, No more best of Sirius, or Best of Xm will be available. It will just be called SiriusXM channel packages/lineups available.

This has been a MAJOR bugaboo for SiriusXM, since the merging of the two companies that MLB(ALL THE GAMES, not the channel) is not even remotely available to the customer base of Sirius Radio holders.

And a man like Mel Karmizan has got to be aware of that. So hence the possibilty of upcoming new channel lineups/packages.

I think yes, some major change is coming. It has too.

If it stays staus quo, and I still don't even have the opportunity to sign up and get MLB games, then no way am I paying more than $77/year for Sirius Everything.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
im upset that i am not even given the option of getting the MLB baseball games (or fox sports radio) , even with purchasing the best of XM

I always preferred XM when they were seperate, but with my vehicle being a ford, i didnt have a choice, sirius it was....

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think their primary goal is to make you pay more and offer less as much as possible. Then, they will add lots of "premium" items to force you to even higher tier pricing. I remember when basic cable was inexpensive and actually had some good channels. Now it is high priced in most areas, and used more to bump people up while adding a bunch of junk they don't want. It has worked well for cable and satellite TV, and Sirius will follow. Nice that there is no real competition in satellite radio to hold them back.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich /forum/post/20841163

im upset that i am not even given the option of getting the MLB baseball games (or fox sports radio) , even with purchasing the best of XMI always preferred XM when they were seperate, but with my vehicle being a ford, i didnt have a choice, sirius it was....

Amen Brotha!!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,

Is there a link that describes, in detail these price increases?

I'm currently on the paired down, "Mostly Music" paying about $30.00 quarterly... I'd like to see how much more they will attempt to charge me.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmo2020
Nice that there is no real competition in satellite radio to hold them back.
While its true there are no other satellite radio companies, there is plenty of competition for your listening time:

SiriusXM

Terrestrial Radio/HD Radio

Pandora/Slacker/Shoutcast/internet streaming (with cars offering internet now, as well)

CDs/MP3s/Personal music

There are plenty of options. You don't NEED to subscribe to Sirius, just like you don't NEED cable TV.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr /forum/post/20890814

While its true there are no other satellite radio companies, there is plenty of competition for your listening time:

SiriusXM

Terrestrial Radio/HD Radio

Pandora/Slacker/Shoutcast/internet streaming (with cars offering internet now, as well)

CDs/MP3s/Personal music

There are plenty of options. You don't NEED to subscribe to Sirius, just like you don't NEED cable TV.

Really? That's your rebuttal? You obviously missed the point here.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1969 /forum/post/20893181

Really? That's your rebuttal? You obviously missed the point here.

Really? That's your rebuttal? You should check out some of the "I've canceled cable" threads in the HDTV forum.

One of the previous posters said this:

Quote:
I think their primary goal is to make you pay more and offer less as much as possible.

Then screw 'em, cancel your subscription, and don't listen to satellite. Fight with your wallet. No one is forcing you to have satellite radio. Oh, you truly NEED to listen to NFL games and Howard Stern? Then pay what they're asking. Or, be like the countless people posting in the threads about how to get the $77/yr deal, and be happy with that. But its obvious that some people don't even think THAT is a value for their money.

When I first got Sirius, I thought it was a great service and I decided to get the lifetime subscription (which was a $400 one-time fee at the time). I'm happy with the content.

And if there is no "real" competition in the market, as the previous poster said, maybe its because any competitors see that subscribers aren't happy paying for that content. Howard Stern, NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, all that premium content costs money for SiriusXM to rebroadcast. They aren't going to provide those services to you for free.

It's not a monopoly just because no one else wants to sink money into something that doesn't appear to be very profitable.

·
Registered
237 Posts
All I am saying is that when there is only 1 company providing satellite radio services, that seems like a monopoly to me. I paid the $77/year and I'm happy with the value I get at that price point. A dollar more and I would be cancelling and not think about it again. What you will find is that 1 company now holds the majority of premium content and can charge whatever they want, and what customers are willing to pay, without worrying about a competing product jumping in the negotiations. Yes, people will pay it, but will they really be getting a fair price given no one can compete? I suppose that is up to the individual. Having two satellite radio services at least kept each other in check. That is assuming of course that there was no collusion in price setting between the two.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.