AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a plasma or LCD that is between 20-35" in screen size. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Check the Sharp website. They're leading the pack in smaller screen flat panel TVs. I know they have models up to 17", but I don't know about anything in the 20s. These are all LCDs of some sort.

The smallest plasma I know of is aound 37", which you should be able to find at some of the online plas dealers. However, the plasma market has settled on 42" as the smallest size going forward, so anything smaller is probably very old technology, which would mean a pretty poor picture compared to a CRT or the latest plasmas.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Go LCD for something that small, IMHO. The cost of plasma outweighs any difference in the image. Look for LCD computer monitors as they are basically LCD TVs without a tuner (but plasmas don't have tuners anyway).

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The plasma industry has made no such decision about 42" being the smallest size. There will be 32" units and possibly new 37" units (I forget). There is, in fact, a 25" unit from Hitachi, sold as a monitor.

I agree LCD is a great choice in 20-35, perhaps the only current choice in most cases. Also, the new Samsung 40" LCD is gonna encroach on plasma.

Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
You'll see 32" plasma's toward the end of the march 2002 (if not sooner). Right now, the 37" Hitachi is the smallest plasma shipping. Zenith, Sharp & Panasonic have 20" LCD TV's with integrated tv tuners. Samsung has a 24" and Sharp has a 28". While the picture quality is good (for LCD), it really doesn't compare to plasma but if you really need to go small & flat, then it's probably your best choice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think Zenith is preparing to release their 36" DPDP-36W 16:9 plasma soon with talks of a 29" LCD/plasma on the way also. MSRP on the 842x480 native resolution 36" PDP, will be $6,499.

·
Banned
536 Posts
$1,599! Can't beat that price for a 20" LCD. What I am having a hard time to find out is if it is 1600x1200 and DVI/RGB. I believe it is made by Sony.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It is 1600 x 1200 and it does support DVI.

Mark

·
Registered
284 Posts
Both Hitatchi and Philips are offering 32" plasma TVs here in the UK right now - including built in tuners and speakers. I have only seen them at rip-off prices in the high street so far, but they *are* available. Panasonic have a new 37", having dropped that size for a while and recently decided to start producing it again.

So I think the future for smaller plasmas is very bright.

Personally I expect both LCD and plasma to settle into their natural niches. i.e. I think plasma offers much better picture quality in certain respects; black levels and viewing angles in particular. These are very important for home cinema, so I expect plasma to dominate the 32" and above markets. (I can't imagine many people would want a home cinema based on anything smaller than a 32" plasma! Compared to a 32" CRT, these are so small.) So I don't expect to see too many sub-32" plasmas, if any.

For small TV's and monitors (computers, kitchens, fridge doors! etc), then constrast and viewing angle aren't too important and I expect LCD will win.

Just my humble opinion of how it will pan out.

Chip.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
One interesting thing Chip is that Samsung is at least touting their 40" LCD as a plasma competitor. They describe a 170-degree viewing angle, for instance. Contrast is reported as 600:1 / 1000:1 (different measures of something, don't know what it means).

Course, there is no product there yet, just a demo at Comdex and other prior shows.

Mark

·
Registered
49 Posts
Chippy, the future markets for smaller plasmas are in fact right where you are in the UK and in some other areas of Europe where people dont have the convinience of incorporating larger screen sizes into their rather small homes. It was for this reason that the 50" LCD Sony Grand Wega availabe right now in Europe, is 10" smaller than the American counterpart which should be available sometime in January as a 60 incher for North Americans. Also if I'm not mistaken currently right now 60" plasmas are unavailable in England while they are in America. I agree that the future of smaller plasmas are bright, but they've got a lot of catching up to do to compete with the larger and cheaper plasma offerings currently available.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
GF: There is no evidence of speakers. I have the 17" version of it (looks stunning with ClearType under Win XP) and it has no speakers. The 20" looks the same to me from the pics, just bigger.

Mark

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
One interesting thing Chip is that Samsung is at least touting their 40" LCD as a plasma competitor. They describe a 170-degree viewing angle, for instance. Contrast is reported as 600:1 / 1000:1 (different measures of something, don't know what it means).

Course, there is no product there yet, just a demo at Comdex and other prior shows.

Mark
I hope they get it right and offer us a choice, rogo. I have seen quite a few LCD TV's so far and every single one has been *appauling* compared to a good plasma. I think most people are wowed by the "oo loook - a flat TV!" effect and don't really study the fact that the blacks are positively *glowing* and the picture is all but invisible if you are 1 degree of axis! Completely useless for anything *remotely* home theater.

Lets hope they get better!

Chip.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Hello all

I hope we are not gong to have a 'mines is bigger than yours' argument over plasma screens and house dimensions - I guess we can all recognise that as the plasma market matures we will all benefit from a bigger range of models and specifications.

A few bits of info - mainly of interest to the UK contributors to this thread but I hope there may be something in it for everyone else.

Panasonic TH-37PWD4E - will be released in the UK at the end of this month or very early December at the latest. Expect the 37" panel to be around 12-14% cheaper than the 42" panel. Two of my team saw the 37" panel this week and thought it looked great and a lot better than the 32" we have been considering for inclusion in our sales line up.

Panasonic 61" panel will be released in the UK around Aug 2002 - no further info at this time.

Panasonic 15" LCD TV - available now or by the end of this month. I will have full details in the next couple of days. Again the boys were suitably impressed with this unit.

Panasonic 22" TV - no release date set and the boys only saw a pre production model.

And that's just Panasonic so expect lots of new smaller, bigger, wider models from everyone - Plasma TV is definitely the big target. The sales numbers the big boys are targeting make the current level of sales into the business and Home Cinema market look tiny.

Also expect to see some casualties as some players get out of this market in the next twelve months.

Joe

[email protected]

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Joe:

How dare you provide real information to this thread... I am ready to start a flame war with you.... :)

Just kidding.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hehe, UK and some of Europe with their rather small homes. A bit of sweeping generalization, no? Rather small cars and streets maybe, but not the homes. My mother's house in England is probably at least twice as large as my loft in downtown Manhattan (which is big by NYC standards). From my experience all American homes are tiny because my experience is Manhattan (I try not to leave the Island ;)). But I digress. I don't think that the reason that 50" Grand Wega in the UK is 10" smaller than the US version is to do with home size. Could it not be more to do with earlier time to market? It has been available in the UK long before being available here and maybe the manufacturing cost of a 60" has now come down sufficiently for introduction to the US market. Or could it be to do with cost to the consumer? Electronic goods in the UK are always so much more expensive than in the US due to VAT (17.5%) and import duties etc. Maybe the sweet spot could not be reached with 60" but could be with 50" when all taxes and duties were added.

Largest direct view CRTs in UK last time I was there was 35" and before the xbr700 and the Mits 40" the largest practical size in the US was 36". Was that because US homes were one inch larger? :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.