AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which video cards I can buy today that I can use for HTPC and do not have a fan. I 've seen there is a Radeon 9700 fitted with a heat pipe, but that is a bit more than I need. What other choices might I have?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Radeon 9000 or 7500 both are fanless and work well (if your not a gamer).

Jim

·
Registered
850 Posts
The upcoming GeForce 5200 will supposedly be also fanless. But dunno when's that gonna come out.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Wny video card that can use one of Zalman's passive coolers would work....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm using a Sapphire Radeon 9000 which is fanless and produces a great picture. If you want more grunt for games, the new 9600 is, I believe, the 9500 in a 0.13 micron process and runs cool enough that passive cooling is a prospect. Cards have been announced but I don't know whether any of the first wave will be fanless.

HTH,

_

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
As BigguyZ says, you can use any video card with passive heatpipe coolers. And they're totally quiet. :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm also hunting for a new vid card. I wanted to get the 9800 pro but people tell me its a bit much if you are doing any gaming. I just want to use it for DScaler and PowerDVD.. That's pretty much about it If I go out and get a 9000 will I regret not getting the up and coming 9600 or the 9800 pro?

Mike

·
Registered
134 Posts
mleelum, I hear there is a slight video quality improvement going from the 8500/9000 lines to the 9500/9700/9800 lines. I surmise that you probably wouldn't notice unless you were doing a direct A/B comparison.

Java Junky

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got an 8500 AIW and a 9500 Pro, the 8500 AIW is fine, it doesn't make as much noise as the power supply or CPU fan.

The 9500 is a bit louder fan-wise, and has an odd, very very high pitched whine. Same as some TV's, its only noticable when tv's are muted, but with this card, if there is no ambient sound, its quite obvious to me (probably because I'm only a couple feet from it). I've asked other ppl that have come by, and most of them can barely hear it, and don't notice it. It drives me crazy though, almost to the point of headaches. It changes pitch, too, depending what is on the screen.

Anyone else with a 9500 pro (or any other vid card really) noticed this?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plissken99
Does the 9500 produce a better picture than the 8500?

For games, if the settings are the same, I can't tell any difference in PQ, just frame rate. The 9500 Pro looks fantastic with 4xAA and 8xAniso on. Its much better than the 8500 in that respect.

I've never played a DVD on the 9500 Pro, though, so I'm not sure about that. I've only got 1 5.25" DVD-ROM drive, so I can't compare them both at the same time, or I would. I'm not big on screen shots either, I figure if you can't tell in real world usage, it doesn't matter.

I'll be sure and post an update if I get to watch a DVD on them both at the same time though.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have passively cooled 9700 Pro and 8500 AIW cards -- the PQ from the 9700 is definitely superior, but the 8500 is pretty good as well. If your budget is tight, get the 8500 (I think it is about $150 from NewEgg); the Zalman cooler you use for that card is a bit cheaper as well.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
But wouldn't a 9500 be about the same prize? That's just a 9700 with four pipes (not the same kind of pipes) disabled, and they can be re-enabled with a software hack. It is just as good as the 9700 on the PQ arena. :cool:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Mastiff --

I thought that the current 9500's have been modified to prevent the software hack (i.e. you can achieve 9500 Pro performance, but not 9700).

Also, don't you need to "re-hack" the card's BIOS for every driver upgrade? This would be a big deal for me, as even conventional ATI driver upgrades make me crazy.

To each his/her own ...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yurd
It changes pitch, too, depending what is on the screen.

Anyone else with a 9500 pro (or any other vid card really) noticed this?
I've had a friends computer PSU in an AOpen HX08 case change pitch depending on load. If something intensive was launched the fan immediately changed pitch as if it increased speed.:confused:

And the PSU isn't one of those advanced temperature sensing ones.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
eggz, that may be. You need the PCB with the memory chips in an L-shape. There should still be some out there. As for driver changes, yes, it does, but that's really only one extra reboot, nothing more. I haven't had problems with installing ATI drivers since last summer, so my guess is that there is something seriously wrong with your system if you have such problems with it. :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.