AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
Avoid those types of "traps." They are basically just air, and have no mass. Try some good models at places like gikacoustics.com


JP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,103 Posts
Yes, real bass traps and acoustic panels that absorb are made from insulation, not foam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,956 Posts
According to their website their NRC ratings are pretty good, much better the OC703 for example. I'd like to hear from someone who's actually tried them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_007 /forum/post/15588396


anyone have these that could provide some feedback

Corner foam is not very effective as bass traps for a number of reasons, not the least of which they're too small to get down to usably low frequencies. There are much better brands out there.


--Ethan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,248 Posts
Those you linked to are to small. I have them. I also have the much bigger ones and I did notice a change in my sound. Everyone in my room has noticed the change in sound as well. They are doing something. Again, avoid the traps you linked to, too small.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer /forum/post/15594967


Corner foam is not very effective as bass traps for a number of reasons, not the least of which they're too small to get down to usably low frequencies. There are much better brands out there.


--Ethan

Can you be more specific. The ones linked are 8". how about 10 or 12 or the 14" ones?


Edit - Also, their NRC numbers are pretty good as well, how does that play into this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/15595952


You would have much greater results using OC703 cut in triangles for the corners A 4'x2' panel would yield 4 trangles.Then stack from floor to ceiling.


Kg

I appreciate your opinion. I've seen the pages about the Studiotips SuperChunk This diagram yields 8 triangles per sheet. I'm looking for someone to quantify the differences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
well these traps look very similar in how they look to the auralex bass traps...i own an entire room of auralex traps...all 4 corners from floor to ceiling as well as some of their other products that are used for early reflections...i use that on parts of the side walls and ceiling as well as behind my front 3 speakers...i did build one "superchunk" or whatever you want to call it out of OC703...i do think those are better but not by a whole lot IMO...the auralex traps can be bought at guitar center and you can buy a can of spray adhesive at lowes or home depot to put them up with for about 5 bucks or so...are they the best? no...do they suck? no...the auralex are quick, easy, and MUCH cheaper than building your own out of OC703...but if cost is no issue and you want something better then the OC703 traps are the way to go...i just personally dont think they are that much better than auralex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James /forum/post/15596040


I appreciate your opinion. I've seen the pages about the Studiotips SuperChunk This diagram yields 8 triangles per sheet. I'm looking for someone to quantify the differences.

Foam tends to absorb the higher bandwidth region more than the lower. You can over deaden the top end and still not significantly reduce the first few octaves. Did the NRC ratings you look at specify the foams rating by Hz? If not its not very useful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHD21 /forum/post/15597688


Did the NRC ratings you look at specify the foams rating by Hz? If not its not very useful.

The first number is the foam, the 2nd is 4" of OC703 per bob


Overall NRC 1.35 - 1.15

NRC at 125 HZ 1.25 - 0.84

NRC at 250 HZ 1.26 - 1.24

NRC at 500 HZ 1.47 - 1.24

NRC at 1000 HZ 1.42 - 1.08

NRC at 2000 HZ 1.24 - 1.00

NRC at 4000 HZ 1.29 - 0.97
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good stuff guys i do plan to combo theses with acoustic panels just thought this would compliment the panels nicely, at that price i just cant see how it could hurt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_007 /forum/post/15598189


good stuff guys i do plan to combo theses with acoustic panels just thought this would compliment the panels nicely, at that price i just cant see how it could hurt

I'm thinking the same thing. Putting the wedges in the corner and getting 703 for the walls.


I expect the 12" wedges will provide less absorption then the 703 wedges because they are smaller, but the foam ones will look and fit better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James /forum/post/15597865


The first number is the foam, the 2nd is 4" of OC703 per bob


Overall NRC 1.35 - 1.15

NRC at 125 HZ 1.25 - 0.84

NRC at 250 HZ 1.26 - 1.24

NRC at 500 HZ 1.47 - 1.24

NRC at 1000 HZ 1.42 - 1.08

NRC at 2000 HZ 1.24 - 1.00

NRC at 4000 HZ 1.29 - 0.97

Whats the absorption rating at 80hz and 40hz? Thats where most people cross their sub in and in the middle of its bandpass respectively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHD21 /forum/post/15598748


Whats the absorption rating at 80hz and 40hz? Thats where most people cross their sub in and in the middle of its bandpass respectively.

Good question. I wasn't able to find that information on their site. Neither was I able to find it for OC703 either (or the Roxul Rockboard, or JM 814 or). It's also not available, as near as I can tell on the GIK or ATSAcoustics sites.


They all seem to use the same scale I posted. Bob Gold's site, the one I've seen referenced all over as the place to look for such things, all uses that same scale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_007 /forum/post/15599288


ok i have located the info check it out and please tell me what it means? rather they are decent or not, i think ima try them either way i just can justify paying so much for Auralex, who seem to use acoustic foam as well? Oh and what type of spay adhesive should i use? thanks
http://www.foamandupholstery.com/foam_corner_kits.htm

I must say that I find their statements less than convincing. First, the NRC specs do not link to a particular item except for NC-168 which they say is sound proofing and a bass trap, two very different applications/goals. Second, the NRC specs at the top of the page are not associated with any specific product, as far as I can see. Third, simply judging from similar specs at Bob Gold's, I am amazed at these (and, thus, somewhat skeptical).
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top