AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played a 1000hz tone to 80db. I measured using my digital RS sound meter.

89hz- 82db

80hz- 82db

71hz- 80db

63hz- 83db

56hz- 84db

50hz- 83db

45hz- 85db

40hz- 82db

36hz- 83db

31.5hz- 82db

28hz- 82db

25hz- 83db

22hz- 83db

20hz- 83db

18hz- 75db

16hz- 72db

I am using a Mirage BPS-400 subwoofer in a 12L by 11W room. I used to have the subwoofer in the front right corner but it seemed too boomy to me, though I didn't do any measurements while it was there. I took my measurements with the sub along the 12L wall about a third the way down it. None of these are corrected because I don't think there is a correction table for the Digital sound meter...right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just using sub out of my Yamaha RX-V2500 to the "LFX" input on the back of my sub. Using the "LFX" input by-passes both the volume and the x-over on the sub. I have the subwoofer level on the receiver at -10 (-10 to +10) the lowest position it goes and I have the LFE level at the highest which is 0 (-20 to 0).

Does anyone know if there is a correction table for the digital RS sound meter?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Yes, that looks very good.

Here's the compensations:
http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs-rscomp.cfm

10Hz add 20dB

12Hz add 16.5dB

16Hz add 11.5dB

20Hz add 7.5dB

25Hz add 5dB

31.5Hz add 3dB

40Hz add 2.5dB

50Hz add 1.5dB

63Hz add 1.5dB

80Hz add 1.5dB

100Hz add 2dB

125Hz add .5dB

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sorry to say, but the resolution needs to be higher to get a true idea of your room response. Make measurements in 1Hz increments and it won't look as pretty. For example, by your current measurements, you have no idea what it looks like between 63Hz and 71Hz.

It really depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go with this. If you're happy with how it looks and sounds now, don't record in finer intervals or you'll really open a can of worms :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yep, that's pretty much what I was thinking too braidkid. I don't know of anyone who gets +/- 3db without eq and room treatments.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Neophyte alert:

Well, I'm confused. If playing a 1000Hz tone, shouldn't there only be 1000Hz readings? How is it that there are readings at 10Hz, etc.?

Thanks for helping one of the great unwashed,

Mitch

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G
Neophyte alert:

Well, I'm confused. If playing a 1000Hz tone, shouldn't there only be 1000Hz readings? How is it that there are readings at 10Hz, etc.?

Thanks for helping one of the great unwashed,

Mitch
I think it set the baseline level at 1000Hz at 80dB. At least that was my impression. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just following the Subwoofer Calibration Procedure from the Audioholics site.

"Step 2: Set the SPL meter on a tripod in your primary listening position. Set the meter response for Slow C-Weighted and rotate the dial to the 80db setting. 80 db is a good level to use when evaluating bass response. Be careful when listening to the higher tones at levels above 80db. If your speakers are not up to the task, you could be looking at blown drivers. I have seen it happen. Not with this disk and these tones but be careful nonetheless. Rives mentions this as well.

Step3: Starting with your volume down low, play the 1000Hz tone from the compensated set of tones and raise it until you reach the 0 point on the meter. This will be 80db. It may help to loop the track until you have it correct.

Step 4: Starting with the first compensated tone run through all of them and mark them on your chart. You will now have a graph or your room response with 1/3 octave resolution."

But I will re-do using 16 to 90hz in 1hz increments.

And I am not using any EQ'ing or room treatments unless you count the futon I sit on or the 2 road bikes I have a room treatments. But I was thinking about getting a Velodyne SMS-1.

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Britton
I played a 1000hz tone to 80db. I measured using my digital RS sound meter.
I find it strange that you get anything in that range out of your sub with a 1000Hz tone.

Kal :p

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Britton
And I am not using any EQ'ing or room treatments unless you count the futon I sit on or the 2 road bikes I have a room treatments. But I was thinking about getting a Velodyne SMS-1.
Before adding an eq to bandaid the situation, why don't you add basstraps to help bring down the peaks and most importantly, raise the nulls? GIK sells very good 4" thick traps for very little money. For the price of a SMS-1, you could add room treatments AND a BFD 1124 and have better results. May take more effort, but the journey is often the most fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.