AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here has built one of these and if so any pictures and final numbers with room gain?

I could care less about aesthetics and have more than enough room.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but I ran a search here and on my other HT forum and came up empty basically except for a few people linking the site.
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
What he is describing is quite impossible in every scenario I have seen, you would need over 60db of free output at 1Hz, sorry that doesn't happen in a home (or even cars for that matter). One thing of note about horns though, if you face them into a corner for an 1/8th pie response, you can extend the bottom end by at least an octave, making a 30Hz horn, a 15Hz horn, just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Is it just me or are the DB numbers low? His graph is putting the Tempest at 110db for a vented enclosure? I would have thought it would be closer to 118db?

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
It looks to me like the tempest is getting 105dB in standard configurations, while his horn gets 110dB, this looks to be his 1w performance from the horn. Why are the sealed/ported versions so high? Looks like he factored in corner loading (+12dB) for all these sims. In which case the max output is on a whole different page.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you guys think he is fudging numbers.

It will play that damn loud for that little bit of cash,comparatively, but the numbers on the graph below say 30Hz are fudged and it can't do what the graphs say it can.

So could be great for music(as long as no pipe organs) but not so good for HT?

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I don't think he's fudging the #'s, they may even be measured results, I didn't look at the graph carefully. Getting solid response to 1Hz definitely IS fudged though, you need an IB or sealed sub with some sort low end boost to get that. If you can corner load it, I'd say it'd mak a superb HT sub.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ask William Cowan for the plans of his 18Hz tapped horn since you have the room. Do up a pair or quads, will be killer.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Eagles, you might also want to check out tapped horns.

They're a bit smaller and can be tuned to get around 125+ db from 20-80hz (corner loaded) from a single 15" pro driver. Their upper bandwidth is very limited compared to the tuba, so integration can be harder and you might need a bit of eq.

For more info checkout

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=97674

edit: beat to the punch line by 2100

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2100 and Steve......thanks!

Since this will be my first build I will most likely go the conventional route, but I don't mind learning and getting ideas for my next build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts