AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is my layout/floorplan with the 2 planned rear/ceiling speakers just behind the 2 poles in the center of the room. The speaker on the left would be about 2'10" from the nearest wall. I am a little worried that might be too close to the wall/corner.

I am thinking of getting Niles HD-FX rear speakers or something similar with the dipole/bipole switch.

The manual for the HD-FX speakers suggests that the speakers be 10 feet apart (optimally).
http://www.nilesaudio.com/docs/manuals/HDFX_manual1.pdf

Right now, I have the speakers about 8.5 feet apart (basically aligned with the poles which are also about 8.5 feet apart). Not sure if that is an issue or not.

(1) Is there really going to be a significant difference if the speakers are 8.5 feet apart versus the optimal suggested 10 feet apart?

(2) Is the current planned location (with the speakers being 8.5 feet apart) a problem based on the 2'10" distance to the corner for one of the speakers?

Thanks in advance for the continued help.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
What size screen are you going with and what is your viewing distance to your main seats? From looking at the picture, it looks like you could move the seats forward and to the left (rather than in between the poles) so that you are centered on the screen. Then shift the right rear surround to the right and increase the distance between the surrounds. Probably will need to move the left surround some also.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/20827484

What size screen are you going with and what is your viewing distance to your main seats? From looking at the picture, it looks like you could move the seats forward and to the left (rather than in between the poles) so that you are centered on the screen. Then shift the right rear surround to the right and increase the distance between the surrounds. Probably will need to move the left surround some also.

The screen size is going to 106 inch most likely. The distance to the seating would be about 12-14 feet. The floor plan I posted is not necessarily accurate. The screen and front LCRs were actually all centered with (or between) the poles. At this point, I don't know that I can change this. Too many things have been wired. Also, if I am understanding your "shift" proposal correctly, that may not work either. I forgot to add the closet where the water line is located. There is about 3 feet distance from the right-most front LCR to the closet. I think that is the reason why we centered the screen and speakers using the poles. The left-most rear is about 3 feet from the left wall (not an issue for the front LCRs on the left since there is an entrance from the stairs) and the front right-most LCR is about 3 feet from the closet with the main water line.

So should I assume that the rear speaker being 2'10" from the wall is a problem? Is the distance from the LCR to the closet an issue?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.