AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sony VPH-1272Q projector I ended up with had fairly heavily scratched lenses. They seemed to work fine, but I couldn't help thinking that I was losing some resolution or flare resistance or something. So I found a dealer on the internet who agreed to trade my lenses for some unscratched lenses, in exchange for $250.

The lenses he sent me don't seem to be the same as the lenses that were on my projector. They have labels saying "Delta HD", rather than "Sony HACC". The front and rear elements are smaller, and the rear-to-front element distance isn't as long. I asked about the discrepancy and the guy who sold them tells me that Delta is a supplier that Sony uses for their projectors from time to time, and that these are actually original Sony equipment. I mounted them up and they seem to work okay; they fit and focus, although the front sleeves over the lenses have to be kind of jammed together because they are too wide for the spaces between the lenses (the old projector didn't have those front sleeves).

But I'm not convinced that these Delta lenses are as good as the Sonys; I would assume that the wider Sonys would throw a brighter picture (10+% more area should give a 10+% brighter picture or that much less wear on my tubes if I turn them down to compensate). Subjectively it seems not quite as bright (but close), and about the same focus (maybe worse, hard to tell).

So I'm considering returning these and asking for my money back on the grounds that they are not the 1272 lenses that I ordered (probably compensating him a little for the effort though). I only want to do that if this is a fair thing to do. I've taken a look at the 1272 projectors on ebay and they all seem to have the bigger sony lenses, not the smaller Delta lenses.

I'm attaching pictures of the old sony lenses and the replacement Delta lenses. I would appreciate hearing from other people... which kind of lenses does your 1272 have?

-Tom

·
Registered
262 Posts
if it makes you feel better, my sony 1292 (and every other sony projector i can remember seeing) has delta hd lenses. nowhere on them does it even say sony. many electrohome projectors also use delta. delta is good stuff!

the seller is telling you the truth, so if your in focus, enjoy that projector!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello Tom,

I just checked my 1272 and it has the Delta lenses and the sleeves are pushed against each other just like the picture you posted.

Richard

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I believe the HACC stands for Color Corrected. The Delta lenses may not have that color correction.

Curt

·
Registered
461 Posts
Tom,

The 1272 uses these 2 models of lenses. The service manual listed the PT-65, but I have some batches using the USPL's HD-8M.

I would love to have a set of HD-8 lenses though, can you redirect that HD-8 set to me?

Thanks,

CH Yeow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.