AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I want to thank all of you whose opinions and suggestions allowed me to make an informed decision about this purchase which was easily the most money I've ever spent on a single gadget...

So here's my story...

I just took delivery of a new 56" with the Samsung stand. Got it at Sound Advice (part of the Tweeter group) the day after ordering (I understand it's hard to get the stand).

I set it up and happily went channel surfing with a SAT-HD200.

I'm very happy with the quality of the HD picture and with the features of the set and stayed up all night tweaking and setting things up.

Next morning I'm like a kid on Christmas day. I get my wife the moment she wakes up so that she can see what a beautiful thing this box is. I show her some HD material, she yawns (not very excited about gadgets in general and thinks it's a waste of money and time). She does admit it looks great, asks me to go to the wx channel to see what the day will be like.

When I dial up the WX channel, disaster... "Wow that looks like ****!".

I tried to explain the subtleties of blowing up a picture to 4 times (approx) it's size and why you really have to change your mindset about this. I remind her that the set will be in a bigger space soon and we'll be further away from the screen, etc. (we're either moving or adding to our house shortly).

She won't buy it and when she asked to see the something off the Ultimate TV, I reluctantly called that up. Even worse....

So the question is... How can I get a better SD picture on my Sammy?

I did some searching and found posts on this forum about using the S-Video or even the antenna input instead of the DVI or component inputs to feed these signals, so I connected the UTV through the SVideo inputs, but it looks soooo crappy.

My wife is livid and wants to return the set and go back to our old 50" Mitsu.

I also ran an experiment and hooked up our X1 projector to the SAT-HD200 and the SD signals didn't look as bad. Is it because the X1 is 800x600 so it doesn't have to scale quite as much?

I think that the distance to the screen as a lot to do with it as we have to sit closer to the Sammy than we can to the projection screen (the screen is on the far wall of the room as opposed to the Sammy which is on the side wall). I would move the Sammy, but there is a fireplace there...

:(

So I'm not sure what to do...

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wallywld
So I'm not sure what to do...
[Tired running joke]

Replace the wife.

[/Tired running joke]

Sorry... it was obligatory.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Have u trid any of the tweaks yet?

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Wallywld:

Hope you find a solution as the poor SD performance is a major block to my buying a Sammy DLP.

People say, garbage in/garbage out, but when you see a sharper SD picture on the same size Panny LCD, you have to wonder if Sammy didn't do as much as they should have to support SD.

·
Registered
282 Posts
How CLOSE are you sitting? I have the new HLN467W and I really have to say that it is very decent with SD Cable....however, I did have to feed it directly into the TV, then to the VCR (whereas with other sets, I had it the other way around). With a direct signal, the picture looks quite decent. Reversed, it was like snow in Syracuse (always occurring, that is).

One of my friends came over the other day and used to trash my old WS on its SDTV signal....he actually agreed that the 467 looked fairly nice on SDTV (and stellar on DVI DVD).

So you may want to check your signal strength....from what I can tell, it seems to have a very weak tv decoder w/r to signal strength....I've had some tvs or monitors which require strong signals and some that could use weak signals....this one definitely requires a very strong signal...only thing worse is the tv receiver for ViewSonic LCDs....that one is snow no matter what (piece of junk!).

But you almost undoubtedly just need to get that signal stronger, but boosting it can often boost the noise even worse. And a noise silencer degraded the picture by weakening the signal too much when I tried one.

Ross

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just received my Sammy HLN507W and expected the SD cable to look like crap. I have standard analog cable running into a converter box I got off of Ebay. It's then connected via composite to the TV. The picture on 98% of the channels is excellent. Even my wife noticed the difference from our 32" Sony Wega and said the color and picture was better. Maybe the composite provides a better picture, I don't know. Also, I have the cable on it's own run from the outside (no splitter) so maybe signal strength has something to do with it. My buddy, who has the same TV, has the cable plugged in straight from the wall and his looks pretty crappy. Again, either the composite input helps or signal strength is the primary contributer to a better picture.

·
Registered
282 Posts
One more thing...for 56", if you are within 9', you'll definitely see a crap picture. I find a minimum of 7' to 9' ideal for 46". So figure for a 56", you should be 10 - 12' probably.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I do believe it is signal strength. Again, if I go from wall to VCR to TV, it is crap. If I go from wall to TV to VCR, it is great on both. The tuner on the TV apparently needs a very strong signal. I'm using basic coax cable.

Ross

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wallywld
Next morning I'm like a kid on Christmas day. I get my wife the moment she wakes up so that she can see what a beautiful thing this box is. I show her some HD material, she yawns
This reminds me of one of my favorite commercials......The one where a guy is sitting in his new VW in his driveway reading the manual, excitedly runs in to get his wife who's doing her nails, drags her through the house and out front to show her the cool windows down w/key feature, he turns around to see her enthusiasm just in time to see the door slamming shut - Been there a 1000 times :D Chicks just don't get it........

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have found a decent picture on analog channels with the ANT unput on my Sammy HLN 4365W. What concerns me is the lack of sharpness in the digital channels, but not the HD channels. My picture is sharper on my analog set. Shouldn't the digital channels be razor sharp? The sharpness adjustment doesn't really affect it. The S-video input might improve it a little (but really there's hardly any difference) but shouldn't the COMP inputs give me the best digital picture? It looks like the picture is being overscanned like a double image. Is there a tweak that addresses this?

Shouldn't my digital pictures look better than my analog stations? I am using a Pioneer box from Time Warner.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've got the 50" Sammy and regular analog Comcast cable. I've found that the best thing I could do to improve SD PQ was use a signal amplifier. Got one at BB for next to nothing. I saw the difference immediately. Couldn't believe I hadn't tried one before.

I know that probably doesn't help you guys with digital or SAT tuners, but I thought I would throw it out there =)

Maybe there is some kind of signal amp for those types of devices???

Neil

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I am guessing that C-band is out of the question?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The problem with the digital pictures is that to fit more channels in the same bandwidth, the broadcasters are cranking up the compression so artifacts are a lot more evident.

This is especially visible in TiVo or Ultimatte TV, at least in my experience.

You will notice that the premium channels look better. That's because they don't compress as much.

I would love a C/Ku-band setup, but first I have to pay for the TV.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I connected the Ultimate TV to the antenna input and it looks pretty much the same as the S-Video1 signal. The Svideo has a little bit better quality on titles, but the picture is still not what I would like.

Having said that... I did change the gamma to 0 and it does help to make the blacks better.

The good news is that we sat down and watched for a while and I had my wife sit down further than normal just to prove the point. She did admit that it looked better from a little bit more distance.

I also loaded a DVD on a DMR-HS2 and watched over the comp inputs and it looked pretty damned good.

So the jury is still out... I guess I'll watch some more since I have 30 days....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.