AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
About 5 or more years ago, I was in Shenzhen, China at the electronics marketplace. I tried out a VR headset that worked with a phone. There were dedicated VR systems not using a phone also. IF people can be convinced to wear a VR headset, it is amazing. My son loves his VR gaming system...I love it, too. People don't even want to pay and wear 3d glasses; so, I'm not so sure the populace will do VR gadgets on their heads. (Anyone remember Google Glasses?) To me, I see more ultra short throw projectors coming down in price and competing with TV in the next 5-10 years. They may have to go ultra ultra short throw with a small box that sits at the edge of an entertainment center and projects 115"+.

Next huge leap in the future? Holographic. Can it be done within the next 50 years?

Wait, isn't the world as we know it supposed to end in just a few more years? When do the 'bots take over? WW3 takes us back to life without electricity?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've always s thought that streaming was stupid, I prefer to download what I watch and have it on local storage (plenty of hdds). For me those Odroid sbcs are perfect. I have 2 N2s running Coreelec and they beat any crappy Rokus or Apple junk by a country mile. As for upgrading my tv I might get an oled to replace my beloved 42" Panny plasma.
I used to always build lightweight custom x86 machines for this purpose, but I just got my first Odroid N2+ and it is really a quite impressive machine.

I think I am going to rotate these Odroids in as my x86 builds need replacement.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Covid nearly killed the movie theaters.
You may have not noticed but since January there is a shortage of electronic components.
TV, phone, game consoles, consumer appliance market are up.
It is supposed to be like that through 2022.

Nobody knows when manufacturing will cool down.
Also, please, do not worry for the TV manufacturers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've always s thought that streaming was stupid, I prefer to download what I watch and have it on local storage (plenty of hdds). For me those Odroid sbcs are perfect. I have 2 N2s running Coreelec and they beat any crappy Rokus or Apple junk by a country mile. As for upgrading my tv I might get an oled to replace my beloved 42" Panny plasma.
Same. I never understood why the studios are so afraid of us having the files ourselves. I don't want a middleman holding my movie collection. I know plenty of people who would buy more digital movies if you could actually backup the files you buy, I mean I buy plenty of lossless digital music in this same way.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Same. I never understood why the studios are so afraid of us having the files ourselves. I don't want a middleman holding my movie collection. I know plenty of people who would buy more digital movies if you could actually backup the files you buy, I mean I buy plenty of lossless digital music in this same way.
Unfortunately we are the exception.

Most people don't want to have to deal with file storage and stuff like that. They just want the convenience of instant access without having to think about it in advance, even if it means compromised quality.

That's the way things have always been. It almost doesn't matter what your product is. In the general consumer marketplace perceived convenience always beats all other considerations.

People like you and I that care about controlling our own collections, maintaining high bitrate for quality, having offline access to our media, etc. etc. are kind of extreme outliers, and that's a bit sad.

·
Administrator
20,494 Posts
Fortunately collectors and streamers can coexist. There are pros & cons to both practices.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is always going to be a reason to upgrade.

The low end of the market is flooded with low quality stuff with major defects in picture quality. The people that buy in that category will want to upgrade for picture quality improvements or SIZE.

The high end of the market's competing technologies all have some flaws that still need to be worked out.
  • LED still has issues with black and details in dark parts of pictures as well as high-speed motion handling.
  • OLED has image retention and brightness issues.

Those things will get worked out motivating buyers to the next higher tier of products. They also will get cheaper at current quality levels allowing buyers to upgrade for SIZE.

... and then the cycle continues.

There will also be a time when exotic technologies (rollable emissive displays) hit the market and begin to take over the standard TV market.

·
Registered
67 Posts
(Anyone remember Google Glasses?)
Google glasses was ahead of it's time. People freaked out more about privacy because of the camera that could take pictures surreptitiously. I think now that more and more people are on social media 24/7 and sharing everything willingly, it wouldn't be as big a deal. If they released a version without a camera and replaced it will bone conducting sound (ala Bose glasses), I think they would be pretty popular.

·
Registered
263 Posts
There is always going to be a reason to upgrade.

The low end of the market is flooded with low quality stuff with major defects in picture quality. The people that buy in that category will want to upgrade for picture quality improvements or SIZE.

The high end of the market's competing technologies all have some flaws that still need to be worked out.
  • LED still has issues with black and details in dark parts of pictures as well as high-speed motion handling.
  • OLED has image retention and brightness issues.

Those things will get worked out motivating buyers to the next higher tier of products. They also will get cheaper at current quality levels allowing buyers to upgrade for SIZE.

... and then the cycle continues.

There will also be a time when exotic technologies (rollable emissive displays) hit the market and begin to take over the standard TV market.

I see them more as different devices for different applications.

My next screen for my Home Theater which mostly gets watched in the dark for movies and TV series will be a 77" LG OLED (probably CX or C1 oraybe even C2 depending on when I get around to buying)

I'm also planning on putting a TV in the open concept kitchen area where it is often bright. It will mostly be used for news and daytime television by my better half. Due to the bright light in that area, and the fact that quality is not a priority, I'll probably go for a LED backlit LCD screen. Maybe 50 or 55". Why skimp on size when they have become so cheap?

Then there are the bedrooms. In the past I've just moved previous gen old TV's to the bedrooms when I upgrade. This time around I may not do that. The 65" Panny plasma I am retiring may just be too much for the bedroom.

Bedroom viewing is mostly my better half drifting off to sleep to unimportant shows, or my mother in law who doesn't care much about quality watching in the guest room when she visits. I'll be looking for whatever cheap 32-40" budget screens I can find for that purpose.

All of them will have their own little Odroid CoreElec Kodi boxes able to access my media library on my house NAS in my rack in the basement, and providing TV via a MythTV backend also running on a server in that rack.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Correct - you do NOT own anything that requires you to have an account and password to access. Its a glorified rental that can be terminated at anytime. Streaming has its place, dont get me wrong but physical media is the ONLY acceptable format for my favorite titles. No debate. ;)

Reactions: Craig Peer

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Correct - you do NOT own anything that requires you to have an account and password to access. Its a glorified rental that can be terminated at anytime. Streaming has its place, dont get me wrong but physical media is the ONLY acceptable format for my favorite titles. No debate. ;)
Especially considering that it's really easy to hit data cap limits with a full household that watches everything in HD or 4K.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Obviously they need to bring back 3D with Passive glasses. Should work much better with the brighter panels. Then sales would sky rocket. Uh huh.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I love my bluray and dvd collection too but you've gotta admit that digital files on hdds and ssds takes up way less space than discs do. But now that I think about it-what are hard drives? Spinning discs-so I guess you can consider them physical media.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, I mean, technically, when you buy intellectual property like a movie, an album or software, you don't really own anything either/ You purchased a license to view the content, and the optical or other media it is contained on, but you never had any ownership of the IP itself.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Well, I mean, technically, when you buy intellectual property like a movie, an album or software, you don't really own anything either/ You purchased a license to view the content, and the optical or other media it is contained on, but you never had any ownership of the IP itself.
Technically, yes but you know what I meant. I was simply comparing owning a copy of a film or show on disc versus streaming only. To me physical is much better for any of your favorite content. The benefits are easy to see:
  • Physical requires no active internet connection
  • the copy of the film you bought can NOT be edited or changed in anyway. They can’t add disclaimers or monkey around with the content.
  • Your physical copy can’t be pulled from the service for whatever reason.
  • Physical disc quality is still appreciably better overall than streaming but streaming is getting better. Still, nothing beats a disc presentation, IMO.
  • Im old school but I like disc cases and cover art. I like my media shelf and organizing it. Yeah, stupid, but it’s a benefit to me. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Especially considering that it's really easy to hit data cap limits with a full household that watches everything in HD or 4K.
Yeah, this just makes me angry.

IMHO Data caps ought to be illegal over any land-line technology.

I'm OK with them on mobile broadband though.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The bandwidth has to be paid for whether it is initiated through mobile or landline at home. The cell towers all connect to landlines (preferably fiber optic), too.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The bandwidth has to be paid for whether it is initiated through mobile or landline at home. The cell towers all connect to landlines (preferably fiber optic), too.
Margins are massive on land line ISPs and are a natural monopoly

Not comparable

We know mobile isn't cheap because these SoB's have competition

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Margins are massive on land line ISPs and are a natural monopoly

Not comparable

We know mobile isn't cheap because these SoB's have competition
All depends on where you are. I've done unlimited unthrottled mobile in China and India for much, much cheaper than the USA.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts