AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to be able to watch OTA HD broadcasts from a roof antenna as well as whatever HD signals my cable company is carrying (Comcast in Philly area), will I need two different set top boxes?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JerryR
If I want to be able to watch OTA HD broadcasts from a roof antenna as well as whatever HD signals my cable company is carrying (Comcast in Philly area), will I need two different set top boxes?
Sure if your Comcast box does not allow you to view HD OTA.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe Comcast uses the Motorola 5100 box. Looking at the manual online it doesn't look like it has an antenna input, so I guess that answers my question. Well that's annoying.

·
Registered
23,246 Posts
Why do you want OTA when your paying for HD cable?

Scumcast carries all the major networks where the majority of the HD programming resides.

FOX, WB, and UPN shouldn't be too far behind.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two reasons:

1. At least according to my program guide, Comcast in my area only carries NBC, ABC, Fox, and PBS, not CBS, UPN, or WB.

2. There's no way to record or timeshift the HD signal off the cable box. I've become very used to my Replay and once I upgrade to an HD set, I'm planning to setup MythTV on a PC to handle similar functionality for the HD signal.

Of course, this may all end up being moot, since I don't know what the antenna reception is like here, and I likely won't find out until I actually buy the new tv and try it out. But in the meantime, I'm trying to learn all I can about HD (no small task) and find out what my options are, whether it will actually be possible for me to record the HD signal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.