AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious to know what everyone's opinion is on spacers.

I recently bought an LG 60" PC1D that weights 135lbs. I intend to use a Sanus VMPL flush mount (which is rated for 160lbs), but I want to use the supplied plastic spacers to push the TV out an additional inch from the wall. The spacers would be applied to the screws that fasten the mount to the TV itself.

I know I am sacrificing a flush appearence, but I really don't want to have to lift the TV everytime I need to go behind the TV to adjust or attach a cable.

Anyway, my worry is, since the TV is so heavy, is it risky to use a spacer to push the TV out from the mount's intended surface? Wouldn't it introduce some fairly strong shearing forces on the screw?

·
Registered
625 Posts
It will put the bolt in bending and tension, but I think you'll be fine. The M8 bolts that most sets use for a wall mount have a very high safety factor for this application(off the cuff calcs).

I use 1.5" spacers on my ~100 lb Vizio P50HDM FWIW.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Here is something you may want to consider as well. Install every single conceivable connection to the display and run it down to a wall plate. That way when you want to say... swap one game system for the next just unplug the connection from the wall. Or if you have a friend that comes over and wants to show you a photo on s/his laptop plug the vga connection to their laptop to the wallplate.

That way there is no need to go behind the set. This option leaves you with a flush installation yet easy access to input/outputs.

That is the way I installed my display and works out well. I purchased my parts from ramelectronics.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Another option is to use right-angle adapters for all connections on the back of the TV. You can get some real nice power cords that have right angle male ends. You can get them in custom lengths so you don't have to wad up all the extra cable inthe back. I'm also getting some nice right-angle adapters for my component cables. I suspect that one could also get r-a hdmi too. I've got a tilt mount that I can swivel up to get at the connectors but can still swivel down all the way because of the right-angle connectors.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use the spacers that came with my OmniMount. The mount brackets are about 1/2" off the back ov the TV. With the mount, spacers, and all - the screen is still only 7" from the wall. Wierd when you think about it - 4 huge lag bolts secure the mount into the studs, and 4 small bolts hold the TV on the brackets. But she is rock solid and isn't going anywhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the great responses so far... keep them coming please!

I just looked up the specs on the bolt size for mounting the TV (it's still in-transit). The bolt is an M6 as opposed to an M8. Which, I believe, is a smaller diameter screw. Do you suspect this will be a problem?

I've also considered the pre-installation of all potential inputs/outputs from the TV, but it's just too costly. I don't want to purchase $400 of cables for the chance that I may used them in the future.

Right-angle adapters are OK too, but I still think there may be a problem squeezing my hands through the tight space between the TV and the wall if I use a purely flush mounted system

Good input though... given me lots to think about

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by largtr /forum/post/0

I use the spacers that came with my OmniMount. The mount brackets are about 1/2" off the back ov the TV. With the mount, spacers, and all - the screen is still only 7" from the wall. Wierd when you think about it - 4 huge lag bolts secure the mount into the studs, and 4 small bolts hold the TV on the brackets. But she is rock solid and isn't going anywhere.

what diameter bolt are you using? what is the weight of your tv?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.