AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been hanging around the Forum here for about 4 years. When I first came on it was because I was buying my first “real TV” as an adult and wanted something really nice. I came to this forum after visiting a Magnolia room at our local BB, and realized that I knew nothing about what I was about to spend a lot of $ on! PQ was important to me, as was off angle viewing (due to the layout of our family room and kitchen). Decided on plasma and bought the PN58C8000 on black Friday of 2010. It was the flagship model of that year and I thought it looked amazing. DNICE came to the house and did a stellar calibration on it. Other than the pink banding issue (which I was able to fix, thanks to this Forum), the panel has been great.

I would not consider myself a videophile, but I’d say I have a decent setup. Denon 2313ci receiver, Samsung BD Player that came with the PDP, and Polk Audio timbre matched 5.1 surround system. Truthfully, I bet I’ve only been to BB twice a year since 2010 to pick up random stuff... never making it back to the Magnolia room. Kinda figured I’d wait for OLED prices to come down to earth in 2-4 years and then I’d get into one of those, cause...you know, my panel would be 6-8 years old and ready to swap out.

So this past weekend, I was out with the family (wife and two boys) and we had to stop at BB. I walked straight the router section and picked up what I needed, and then found my wife and kids watching The Avengers in the Magnolia room. It was on a 65” HU8550 4K LED, and I thought it looked AMAZING. I asked the guy what the feed was and he said standard Blu-ray upscaled to 4K. I honestly stood there with my mouth open for a good 60 seconds in total aw.

I’ve been on the boards here long enough to hear us all trash talk the LED’s here in the plasma section. Flashlighting, blooming, uniformity issues, and the list goes on. And when you guys post pics of a blank screen, I can totally see it. But yesterday at BB, I wasn’t seeing any of that. Now maybe my 4 year old flagship plasma is not as good as a new LED 4K, I don’t know. What I do know is that the picture I was watching in BB was WAY more clear and had more detail than my current panel (even with a DNICE calibration!), IMO. Maybe I don’t have the eye that you all do. Maybe something is not set up correctly on my current setup (I’m pretty sure it is correct). But all I know is I don’t feel so hot about my panel anymore.

I guess I don’t have a question. Just wanted to share my experience and see what you all think. Maybe I’m totally alone in this ☺

·
Registered
12,071 Posts
The Hu8550 is a nice set but I owned one for about a week, I found the 4k upscaling to be soft and I didnt care for the motion either. Leds often look soectacular on the show room floor only to disappoint at home.

I'm not anti led just more pro plasma, the 2015 models are improved. 4k is still not a solid reason to pick a set right now imo.

Edge lit design is the worst thing that has happened to Led imo.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
i honestly have NO PROBLEM with lcd's, but i believe edgelit led backlighting is the WORST display ever made. the first, last, and only time i've seen a display that i considered was unwatchable, was with edgelit led.

don't get me wrong, i think when it comes to pure pq, plasma wins every time, but for a 'casual' viewing, non-darkroom environment, i don't mind CCFL lcd at all. i have one in my bedroom and it's totally fine. edgelit led is just a whole other issue for me. the horrendous uniformity is far too much for me to overlook. i tried 3 of them before i managed to find a half decent CCFL model.

for what it's worth, i never saw any hint of flashlighting in the store, but i was almost unable to even reduce it at home. i actually went as far as to install 3 pot lights directly over the tv, but they needed to be maxed out before the flashlighting was hidden. at that point my room was at least twice as bright as i would ever consider 'comfortable' for viewing, and being a bedroom tv, at least 50% of my viewing would be in complete darkness.

simply put, you can't judge tv's by how they look at the store.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
The degree of black is often difficult to discern in a store environment unless there's something nearby with proper display of them.

For example, my local Best Buy has an LG UHD LCD display that looks pretty great… but is unfortunately adjacent to a display with the 55EC9300 OLED, which blows the LCD away in display of blacks and contrast.

The same is true for many other defects, like flashlighting. My local high end dealer said they'd never had anyone complain about the 65XBR850 they have on display in the back room… then I had the salesman shut off the lights and go back to an all-black screen; his gasp and "Ohhhh…" was quite audible.

In that way, LCDs are the perfect showroom TV; they look bright and vivid with great color under warehouse lighting.

That's also why LCDs are the perfect hospitality/bar/restaurant TV as all that viewing is also done in an at least somewhat lit environment.

It's in a home theater or darkened room that things go downhill quickly.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
'black' is the darkest thing in the room...

if the store is super bright, then the black on the TV's will look great. if the room is dark, and you have something closer to true black to compare to, then suddenly that 'black' on the tv looks terrible.

same thing works for whites. even 'dim' whites will look white if you have a pitch black room. I've watched my projector on a grey screen where 'white' was only like 4ftl and it looked ok to me, looked white. but if you have your tv in front of a bright window, then even the brightest led's can't compete, and they will look dim in comparison with 'grey-whites'.

our eyes are VERY easy to trick, it's about how you watch. I almost always want to watch in the dark, so I'm critical of even plasma black levels. and I'm also more than satisfied with the dimmest plasma's whites, for the same reasons. I never have a super bright white light to make the screen look dim.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand that technology changes over the years. Would you say that the overall PQ on my 4 year old plasma should still trump current 4K LED's, like the HU8550. Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,071 Posts
I understand that technology changes over the years. Would you say that the overall PQ on my 4 year old plasma should still trump current 4K LED's, like the HU8550. Just curious. Thanks.
Outside of viewing angles possibly motion I would say no. Plasmas made sigbificant strides the last few years. If you like the 8550 try it out at home see if it works for you. You're the only one that can make that decision.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
If your main concern is brightness, no.

If your main concern is contrast and dark blacks, then yes, it will as any decent plasma (like my 10+ year old Panasonic plasma) will blow away even the best LCDs in that respect, not to mention freedom from blooming and flashlighting.

Bottom line though is if you like the way the LCDs look, go for it, but there's no reason you shouldn't remain happy with your current plasma… unless you're already unhappy with your current plasma.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
the past few years has been a lot of "3 steps forwards, 2 steps backwards" kind of 'progress'. in some cases I'd even say it's more like 2 steps forwards, 3 steps backwards, or 20 steps sideways...

ultimately we still don't have a perfect display, and while there's been improvements in some areas, others have gotten worse. just means your preference will play a large factor in how you view the market. to me it looks completely barren, with oled standing a mile away. others are staring at an oasis of new designs, more pixels, larger screens, and whatever else they are impressed with.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
I think plasma would still be around if it wasn't for 4K. That pretty much killed it. Not because of any vastly improved quality, but the cost. 4K plasma is very difficult to manufacture. Secondly, even if they could produce a 4K plasma at a reasonable cost, the tv would fail all energy standards. The companies were not going to invest that type of money into R&D when in all likelihood it would fail. When Panasonic, LG and Samsung decided to go all in on 4K, it was over for plasma.

·
Registered
12,071 Posts
If your main concern is brightness, no.

If your main concern is contrast and dark blacks, then yes, it will as any decent plasma (like my 10+ year old Panasonic plasma) will blow away even the best LCDs in that respect, not to mention freedom from blooming and flashlighting.

Bottom line though is if you like the way the LCDs look, go for it, but there's no reason you shouldn't remain happy with your current plasma… unless you're already unhappy with your current plasma.
I have to disagree on the older plasmas because of poorer contrast levels and mll, for example the px80u which I owned is an 08 model is inferior in almost everyway to a set like The 8550. Besides viewing angles I cant think of a single area where it would best a high end lcd. Anything from 2012 forward including Kuros would be superior to the vast majority of Lcds. The op has a c series plasma which is a 2010 model i believe, I think the 8550 has an edge in that direct comparison.

·
Registered
12,071 Posts
I think plasma would still be around if it wasn't for 4K. That pretty much killed it. Not because of any vastly improved quality, but the cost. 4K plasma is very difficult to manufacture. Secondly, even if they could produce a 4K plasma at a reasonable cost, the tv would fail all energy standards. The companies were not going to invest that type of money into R&D when in all likelihood it would fail. When Panasonic, LG and Samsung decided to go all in on 4K, it was over for plasma.
Id like to believe that is true but plasma was doomed a long time ago by the ignorance of the average viewer. 4k might have been the death blow but the downward spiral started long before then imo

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
I disagree on both counts.

My ten year-old TH-50PHD6UY generates black areas no LCD has been able to match and has none of the other LCD backlight artifacts.

I'm not sure what you mean about ignoring the average consumer; the market doesn't work on price alone.

·
Registered
12,071 Posts
I disagree on both counts.

My ten year-old TH-50PHD6UY generates black areas no LCD has been able to match and has none of the other LCD backlight artifacts.

I'm not sure what you mean about ignoring the average consumer; the market doesn't work on price alone.
Thats a professional model correct, do you know what the mll is ? just curious

I never said anything about "ignoring" the average consumer read my post again

1 - 20 of 26 Posts