AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know McAfee says its new VirusScan 6.0 is compatible with Windows XP.......

But McAfee said that its version 5.x was compatible with WinME and in reality quite often slowed people's systems to a crawl.

One of the worst symptoms was stuttering, jerky DVD playback.

Personally, I've had to uninstall/reinstall 5.x on my ME computer three times. System would run fine for a while, but when a new engine was released a few months back, it slowed my system to a crawl again, and even after forcing a reinstall of the older engine back on, my system speed has never been the same again.

Anyone aware of such problems with Windows XP and VirusScan 6.0? If not, I'm about ready to upgrade.......?

By the way, any thoughts on which OS is better for DVD playback and AccessDTV........XP or ME? Thanks.........

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I'd ask this on McAfee's message boards, but their server has apparently been down for three days now ("connection reset by peer" or "server hung up" messages whenever I try to go there)............

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bb80301
I have McAfee 6.01 working with WinXP Pro.
Hi,

Ever have any problems similar to those I mentioned above with ME and 5.x........? Or has it been smooth sailing right from the start?

Thanks......

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have VirunsScan 6.0 (applied 6.01) .

I has NOT been smooth sailing.

Got McAfee Internet security pkg.

VS 6.0 seems the most problematic for me since I had a older version on system before.

Other SW seems OK but not VS.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by WScott
I have VirunsScan 6.0 (applied 6.01) .

I has NOT been smooth sailing.

Other SW seems OK but not VS.
Do you think if I uninstalled my current VS 5.21, then upgraded my WinME to XP, then installed VS 6.0, then applied VS 6.01, that path might be successful?

Thanks.......

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Guys:

___Sorry to take you a bit away from the McAfee SW but Norton AntiVirus 2002 is compatible and works great under XP in my uses. I wouldn’t run an HTPC without it ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.