AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few members comment lately about being movie collectors. So it got me curious in this "digital world" just how many still collect movies.
I don't mean digital copies, but actual hard copies of movies.
I'm guessing the majority will be older folks (I'm 53), and that the younger generation are more into the digital realm.
I started out (as a kid) watching a B&W TV, then we got color, but the only time you could watch a movie was on TV, or in the theatre.
So when VHS tapes came along, WOW, it was amazing, you could actually own your very own copy of your favourite movie!
To me, a movie lover, it was the most amazing thing, like owning a small piece of history.
But now a days with VOD, digital downloads, Netflix etc more and more seem to just do that. But for me I still enjoy getting a blue ray, watching it, adding it to my collection/library. I'm now at 860 titles . I don't buy pirated/bootleg/copies, just don't care for that. I want the whole deal, movie/extras/art work etc. That and I'm a huge sucker for "collector editions" that come with something. I guess that goes back to the days when a box of cereal had good prizes in them.
The thing with the digital copy of something, to me, is that you don't really own something, not physically anyway. The ironic part tho is that music wise I no longer buy CD's (unless it's a gift to someone), just ITunes. That part of the digital realm is fantastic to me. I'm not a huge music person. But I would always be a bit peeved when buying the latest CD's of someone I liked and then finding there is only 1-2 songs I really like. So to buy one song that I like is great.
So I suppose to a lot of people, movies are the same way, they will watch it as a digital rental and if it's something they really like they then may buy a "hard copy". But I still will "blind" buy a movie, as long as its a genre I like, sure some have turned out to be dogs, but I still like the fact it's now mine and in the library. When we still had "movie rental" stores I would pre-view a movie before I bought it. But with the demise of the neighbourhood rental stores (a big loss IMO as I use to love browsing through the racks of titles, finding something I've never seen. It was almost as much an event as going to the theatre), I wont do that "digitally" at all. I did have Netflix for a few months once (the canadian version is a fraction of the US version as far as titles), but just didn't care for it, to much like watching a "TV movie", it just wasn't as "special" to me as watching on disk .
So how many of us are out there?
Do you "up grade" your collection... older beta/VHS/laserdisc to DVD to BD, do you keep your "legacy titles"?
When we went from VHS to DVD, I got rid of most of them (VHS just took up to much space) and I will replace most DVD's in favour of BD version, but still have many DVD's.
CD's were a sad replacement for a vinyl album even though the sound maybe cleaner. To me it will be a sad day when we have gone all digital. I just think you loose something when your only buying "the right to watch", but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!

Yes I collect analogue media that I love...... IN MY OPINION NOTHING IS NICER THAN ANALOG! -- WARM,PURE AND BEAUTIFUL

I collect Records,Cassettes and VHS...... I love them........ They mean more to me than anyone here can probably comprehend.... (Except maybe you buddy,I think you can understand) I have 1 videodisc but as of now,I dont have a player to enjoy it with..
(Poltergeist (1982))

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Tiki Steve

·
Registered
298 Posts
Awesome Thread
One thing to bring up when it comes to Digital copies it has no re sale value
The Movie Companies are slick and take our money over and over

examples with this new Gravity Movie In Dolby Atmos , They first release it in 3d with a Dts-Hd track now it is Atmos next it will be Atmos and 3D then After that it will be 4k With Dts-Hd
then 4K with Dolby Atmos. and before it was released they offer it to download thru online streaming sites 2 weeks prior to BD releases .

But back in the day we had VHS Then Laser Disc i loved laser Disc better than Dvd. Just as we finally get so many Blu ray releases you will see 4k swarm over

I personally can not watch anything on cable unless it is a HD Channel

·
Registered
516 Posts
I am a major collector in my own right. I've been doing this since the late 70s/early 80s and I'm not about to stop. I started out with vinyl, cassettes and VHS like most, and have long since moved up to physically-based digital products. To me, the physical product is a memorial and a testament to the time in which I purchased the product, and I have a lot of memories over each item. In my collection thus far, I have maybe:

>900+ CDs, SACDs, DVD-Audio discs, DualDiscs, MVI discs and Blu-ray Pure Audio discs;
>about 200 or more unique live-action movies on DVD and Blu-ray;
>about that many anime titles, with more on the way in both formats;
>and anywhere from 50 to 100 music video or concert DVDs and Blu-ray Discs.

On the movie and anime fronts, I do tend to replace certain titles on DVD with Blu-ray upgrades whenever they become available. I am also likely to replace certain copies of existing titles with ones with better packaging, such as Steelbook cases, if such products come out and I desire them. I similarly do much the same with my music products, whenever better versions come out on certain titles.

Digital copies of movies don't hold that much of an allure for me, though I do have more than a dozen movie files on my iPod, the redemption codes for which I obtained from past Blu-ray purchases. I don't mind having them on a device like the iPod, where their presence is a bit more sensible, but nothing's going to replace the actual physical product for me. (And besides, how would you get celebrity autographs on purely digital product like you would on physical packaging?)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just a few 8 track tapes in the closet. How many remember those? 4 track tapes were before 8 track. I remember my father having a 4 track tape player in his truck.

I admit I still buy DVD's as they come out. I have quite a collection that has grown over the years. I thought about going to blu-ray but I suppose why dump my investment in DVD's. Nothing is really wrong with them.

I run a CRT projector so the quality is acceptable. I still have a rear projection TV too. Just last year I had a problem with it and fixed it myself and cleaned the CRT's, replaced the fluid and it works like a new one. I don't watch it much anyhow. Playing DVD's on it suffices. For daily viewing we have a Sony LED TV that we sometimes watch movies on.

I have a few laser discs, maybe 20 or so. The sound quality of Cameron's "Titanic" is still the best on LD. The video sort of suks is the downside. I think there are some LD's movies that have never been released on DVD and may never be.

The only VHS tapes I have are recordings of the Olympic's, Academy Awards/Oscars, and some special TV shows. I would like to get those transferred to DVD but I don't know if because of copyright's that I can get a business to do that. Buying the equipment wouldn't be cost justified.

I still buy CD's. Those I have to mostly order because not too many places carry them anymore and what they have doesn't have much variety. Some music isn't available via digital too.
I haven't stepped into the digital age that much. I've bought a few digital copies of music for my laptop playing is about all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts