AVS Forum banner

What kind of User are You?

• Joe Sixpack - where's that darn on switch!

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Average Joe - Yep, that looks about right

Votes: 72 44.4%
  • Master in Training - okay, now I want to learn how to dial in D65

Votes: 67 41.4%
  • Master - Mmm, I think I can get a little more out of her...

Votes: 22 13.6%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From many of the interesting conversations that have been flying around concerning the new JVC, I started to wonder how many people would be influenced by how much ability a projector gives you to tinker with it's settings.

Let me define what my definition of the choices are:

Joe Sixpack User - you just want to turn the thing on and watch something.

Average Joe User- you want to be able to make Very basic adjustments like black and white level. You basically want to just turn on and watch something after you have done a few brief picture adjustments.

Master in Training - you have a great interest in elaborate calibrations and are looking to learn how to get the very best possible image out of your projector.

Master - you know all of the intricacies of calibration and find yourself tweaking settings quite often looking for just a little more perfection.

I myself fall squarely in the Average Joe bracket. Where do you fall?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
This would be interesting as a public poll. Interesting to see how people consider themselves versus what others think of them.

For the record, I said I was a Master in Training. No way am I a Master, but I've been known to spend countless hours in various service menus and I'd like to learn how to calibrate, so I fit the "In Training" definition laid out in the OP.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I put myself in the average joe group. I have the necessary measurement equipment to set color temperature and gray scale and I will do so when the RS-1 arrives. I am not going to obsess over it and check it every week or 50 bulb hours. I am also not one that will send the unit back if it isn't absolutely perfect. Clearly visible shading differences or uncorrectable gray scale issues; yes, back it goes; measured but unobservable differences, no.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmc /forum/post/0

I put myself in the average joe group. I have the necessary measurement equipment to set color temperature and gray scale and I will do so when the RS-1 arrives. I am not going to obsess over it and check it every week or 50 bulb hours. I am also not one that will send the unit back if it isn't absolutely perfect. Clearly visible shading differences or uncorrectable gray scale issues; yes, back it goes; measured but unobservable differences, no.

Dude, if you own calibration equipment, you're not an average Joe. I'm just sayin.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegamer /forum/post/0

Let me define what my definition of the choices are:

Master in Training - you have a great interest in elaborate calibrations and are looking to learn how to get the very best possible image out of your projector.

?\\

What if you have an interest in elaborate calibrations - but prefer to hire a professional calibrator vs learning how to do it yourself?

·
Registered
735 Posts
average joe. I made a hushbox and had my projector calibrated, but that's it. I just want to be lost in the movie. I listen to all the masters and nitpickers and just weigh what is important to me.

BTW shouldn't this poll be a no brainer. The average joe will be the average and because this is an enthusiasts forum you will see a bigger slant to the enthusiastic.

·
Registered
800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel /forum/post/0

I don't like the term "master" as we are always learning, and in that respect I consider myself an ongoing "student", but based on the four choices listed, that is the best fit. I know enough to be truly dangerous...

How about Padawan?
I'm a Padawan in hopes of becoming a Jedi Calibrator.

Darth Shading: "The grayscale tracking is strong with this one."

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit07 /forum/post/0

What if you have an interest in elaborate calibrations - but prefer to hire a professional calibrator vs learning how to do it yourself?

There appears to be some confusion as to whether or not these levels of Jedi Mastery refer to how "anal retentive" a person is or how "experienced and knowledgeable" a person is. These are two completely different things.

It's quite possible for a person to know how to dial in D65 but to be content with "Average Joe" type pickiness. In fact, we've seen an example of that in this thread already.

I'm too damned nitpicky to hang around this poll anymore. I need to go hang out in a contrast ratio thread for a while.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ /forum/post/0

"Master - Mmm, I think I can get a little more out of her..."

Thinking about U again gremmy?

LOL. I didn't pick up on how hilarious that poll option is until I saw your perverted mind at work on it.

As far as U goes, I never stopped thinking about her.

And the twins? Good God Almighty.

P.S.

Bob is the "Master."

Don't look at me, I'm just the Master in Training. Somehow that sounds even worse!!

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,485 Posts

Quote:
Master in Training - okay, now I want to learn how to dial in D65

Based on that, my assumption is that anyone who has the tools and/or knowledge to dial in D65 would be at a higher level. Or in other words, this level (Master in training) would have the desire to do a proper calibration but has not yet made the investment in knowledge, training, and hand's on experience.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mmm, very interesting to see that Average Joe and Master in Training are almost dead even. I didn't really expect to see many if any Joe SixPacks here, but I would have thought that the Average Joe would have easily out paced the other options, based on the many lurkers alone.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Average joes spend a large part of there leisure time 'watching and enjoying' there projectors while the 'masters in training' seem to be sitting in front of there computers racking up thousands of posts and watching nothing.

Life is short so 'enjoy' the hobby instead of worrying about the prospect of it not being perfect.

I am in the industry so not much offends me.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank456 /forum/post/0

Average joes spend a large part of there leisure time 'watching and enjoying' there projectors while the 'masters in training' seem to be sitting in front of there computers racking up thousands of posts and watching nothing.

Cute, and rediculous. I watch 5 or 6 movies a week. I appreciate movies as art as well as entertainment.

I put 5 hours on my bulb every day and it's not just to nitpick the picture.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I guess I'll chime in. I am an incorrigible tweaker with just about anything electronic - but only initially. My tendency is to spend a ton of time to get any new component set up as well as I possibly can, but then I'll tend to leave it alone and just use it until I have a specific need to change it.

I look at it this way: Why would I be willing to spend tens of thousands on high-end gear, only to operate it in whatever state the factory left it in? I may as well take the time to get the most out of it. Once that is done, though, unless I have made a quantum leap in understanding (or something changes) I have no faith that re-tweaking will incrementally make it better. In fact, I prefer to get it really good, then sit back and enjoy a system that is stable and properly set up. (Heck, I have guitars that I have played heavily for ten years or more and never done anything except change the strings.)

What do you guys think - is this 'Average Joe User' or 'Master-in-Training'? [I won't lay claim to 'Master' in the video realm - I'm just not there yet.]

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,485 Posts

Quote:
I guess I'll chime in. I am an incorrigible tweaker with just about anything electronic - but only initially. My tendency is to spend a ton of time to get any new component set up as well as I possibly can, but then I'll tend to leave it alone and just use it until I have a specific need to change it.

I understand and agree, but to use you guitar analogy (I am an electric bass player), it would be like buying a new guitar, adjusting the bridge and neck to get just the perfect action and intonation, and then never touching it again. The problem is that no matter how well it is set up and tuned initially, the strings will drift out of tune on an almost hourly basis and will degenerate over a longer time to lose their high frequency response, feel, intonation, etc. The point is that no matter how well the guitar is set up at first there is a certain amount of regular maintenance that is necessary to keep it sounding and playing in tip top condition - the same is true of projectors as the lamps age.

I think that the OP intended the last 2 categories to be more like this:

3. Thinker: I would like to learn to properly calibrate my projector and to squeeze the maximum performance out of it, but I haven't actually taken a step in that direction as yet.

4. Video geek - I have actually studied the science of color and light, gone out and bought equipment to properly measure and calibrate my system, and have spent more hours than I care to admit with actual hands on experience just to get dE at 20 IRE from 4 to 1.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.