AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I have a problem, but, it is distracting for me, at times.

For instance, watched Joy Ride last night. Okay, so he got pulled over for a broken tail light. Ahhh Ha! I thought. I'll catch them on this!

But, thankfully enough, when he hit the brakes, sure enough, the tailight WAS out. Okay, cool.

But, the CB radio antenna. Okay, it's on the driver's side, right?

Well, first scene it is, then, break away to an airial shot, and it's on the passenger side. Then, next scene, driver's side. Arrrrrrrrgh! :mad:

Spiderman. When he first shoots his "web" he smashes and knocks off a lamp by his bedroom door. Then, we move to the scene where aunti opens his door. Arrrgh, there's the lamp, in perfect condition!

Evil Dead. Okay, are the high beams ON or OFF? Why would you keep switching them back and forth in the deep dark woods??

Was that a number 2 pencil?;)

The Waltons. John Boy's birthmark. Okay, first it's left, then right.

No, kidding on that last one.

But, it seem to me that some of these "mistakes" may not really be mistakes, but, masked trivia, perhaps.

Or, maybe that's how I justify it in my own mind, to make it less distracting.

Why oh WHY can't I just enjoy the movie? :p :p :p

·
Registered
488 Posts
:)

Igor's hump on the left or right side?

The most distracting in all moviedom is in Dances With Wolves, when the Native Americans surround the invader in the river after the attack on the village, aim their rifles and shoot. Hmmm, I wonder if anybody on the opposite side of the circle got nailed?? ...that drives me nutz

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeepers Creepers.

All that pounding of the rear bumper and not a scratch, dent, or otherwise, even as the car leaves the road and goes wizzing through the grass.

Then,

WAMMO!

The bumper and trunk lid is suddenly requiring some attention with dirty underwear!:(

I realize certain scenes need to be filmed out of order, but, come ON!

·
Registered
29,354 Posts
Nit-picking continuity errors is for people who have entirely too much time on their hands.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It's fun to notice them, though.

The changing IP addresses in The Net. The magical appearing/disappearing seatbelt in The Net.

Just the other day I saw an episode of CSI that had an error. It's the first I've noticed. The episode was "Last Laugh" and when Warrick found the bottle of Innoka water on the shelf it's first between cereal and Wisk and then in the next shot between two cereal boxes.

It usually doesn't take me that far out of the experience, though. I'll make a comment if I'm watching with someone and rewind it once or twice.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:
It usually doesn't take me that far out of the experience, though. I'll make a comment if I'm watching with someone and rewind it once or twice.
Comments like this result in major disapproval by my wife (main movie partner).

"Rewind?" You still watching tape?

Continuity errors leap off the screen at me like typos do EVERYWHERE I FREAKIN' LOOK! ...sorry. deep breath. I'm OK now.

It is fun to look for these things, though. Appeals to my analytic mind.

Steve

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
Nit-picking continuity errors is for people who have entirely too much time on their hands.
Or people watching movies they're not getting into at all...

·
Registered
50 Posts
It can be at times either funny or just plain annoying when these mistakes are glaringly obvious.

The crashed car which is suddenly in showroom condition, the character who is magically wearing a different shirt, etc, etc.

Quote:
"Rewind?" You still watching tape?
I hadn't thought of it before, but what would you call the opposite of fast forwarding ?

·
Registered
542 Posts
In the first season of 24 Episode 6:00-7:00 pm ends in daylight,then the start of Episode 7:00-8:00 pm it's pitch black.That really bugged me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
We were watching Stripes the other night.

There's the scene where Bill Murray is carrying his duffel bag trying to go awol, and he gets tackled by Harold Ramis (sp?). Then the 2 female MPs drive up, and from their view you see Bill & Harold on the ground with the bag behind Bill's head. The scene switches to a view from the other side where you see the bag at Bill's feet. Switches back and the bag is behind his head again.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Watch how the whiskey(?) splash on Alan Ladd's shirt changes places during his fight in the bar in SHANE. It's ... very distracting and noticeable. One of the downsides of DVDs -- you can freeze-frame/slo-mo notice all these goofs.

·
Registered
776 Posts
One of my pet peeves are the shots of two people driving in a car, having a conversation. They're going 60 MPH down a highway, yet the column gearshift is in PARK. Miraculously, at the next cut, it's gone....but wait, there it is again, in PARK again:rolleyes:

These kinds of errors can either irritate me or amuse me, depending on mood. Isn't there a specific crew member for continuity? I'm guessing that isn't the highest paying job on the staff...

·
Registered
29,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by petefletch
I hadn't thought of it before, but what would you call the opposite of fast forwarding ?
Back-tracking, or scanning backwards.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Korom
These kinds of errors can either irritate me or amuse me, depending on mood. Isn't there a specific crew member for continuity? I'm guessing that isn't the highest paying job on the staff...
Yes, there are continuity people on movie sets. They take thousands of polaroid photos of the sets, costumes, and actors for every scene from every angle. Check out the supplements on the 28 Days Later DVD. There's a section there about how difficult it is to keep track of continuity.

Sometimes errors get through. Sometimes they are big and glaring and obvious, but usually they are incredibly minor and unnoticeable unless you're looking for them. In some cases the error may have even been caught on set and reshot, but the editor may choose to use the original take if the actor's performance was better.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Quote:
Yes, there are continuity people on movie sets. They take thousands of polaroid photos of the sets, costumes, and actors for every scene from every angle. Check out the supplements on the 28 Days Later DVD. There's a section there about how difficult it is to keep track of continuity.
I know, I know, I was talking tongue in cheek. But for something so obvious as the gearshift lever example, there's what, half a dozen people or more at any given time watching either a monitor or through the camera itself? None of them notice something so completely out of whack with reality- flying down a highway with the gearshift lever up...gets me everytime.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.