AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discovery HD was released several months ago now. I actually still didn't buy the adaptor yet for my 6000 because I rarely watch HD on that reciever. I've been too busy to watch much TV at all recently. I am thinking about ordering it soon though for Discovery HD, and I just wanted to know how everyone else felt about it. Please only respond if you bought the module and subscribe or used to subscribe to Discovery HD

·
Registered
224 Posts
Although it's true that Discovery repeats and repeats, I still watch it far more than I watch either HBO or SHOWTIME.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That $8 a month is the best investment I have made for HD so far. I'd surrender any other single source of HD before it. Discovery gives me much more of real lasting value than HBO and/or Showtime, in fact I gave up Showtime a couple of years ago. I know that is a highly personal view, but it's mine.

I don't have any problem with the repeats, as they are. Discovery is adding in enough new material to keep me interested, and happy, plus there are many that I want to see more than once. I have been quite happily surprised to see that my wife shares my enthusiasm for Discovery HD, where she has not expressed any interest in HD for any other programming.

Vic W

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'd vote, but my opinion doesn't fit with any of your choices. I'm "satisfied" with Discovery HD. Yea, maybe a little more content would be nice, but I recognize the chicken-and-egg difficulties of getting something like this off the ground. I'm getting about what I expected, and it's the one thing I turn to when I want to show folks what HDTV is like.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
considering that they are the only HDTV provider to offer a 24x7 HDTV channel, i am very happy with them. not even HBO and especially Showtime can make this claim. and the programming is not a mirror of their SD channels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discovery HD is a great way to demo HDTV. When I have a visitor in my theater, I know that I can flip to Discovery HD regardless of whether it is daytime or evening and see something stunning in HD. I almost always get a jaw-drop reaction from my guest.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discovery HD seems to be bringing out new programming weekly. The quality is great--I know I'll be subscribing for another year. I might only watch one movie on Showtime or HBO a week but I find myself turning over to Discovery HD often just for the stunning picture.

·
Registered
732 Posts
My family and I watch Discovery HD alot. My daughters love the programs and Sunday night we set up the portable dinner table in the television room and spent the night watching Discovery HD. Family, friends and neighbors visit our home and love to watch Discovery HD. Discovery HD channel is a big hit in my family room.:D

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ricka
Don't know. I wish I could get it. (Hint, hint; DIRECTV!)

--Rick
As suggested before in this forum, if more people would go the "feedback" section of DirecTV's website and demand Discovery Channel HD -- or any new HDTV programming -- maybe they'd finally move on it. Thousands of people view this forum everyday. Imagine if just 100 of them wrote to DirecTV about HDTV in one day?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I love the channel. I dont mind the repetition. How many hours of tv can you watch in one day anyway? Besides, at least you wont miss anything! Its 24/7, PQ is mostly excellent (anywhere from very good to unbelievable), and you can learn something to boot! Dont get me wrong, sports look awesome in HD (Im one of the lucky ones who can get MSG and FSNY and Metro TV), but I love nature and educational stuff too. Totally worth the 8 bucks a month. What is that anyway, 25 cents a day?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.