AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I've had one for 3 days and so far im satisfied with it, but remember that their is no such thing as the PERFECT LCD/HDTV. They all have their little issues, no matter if its Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, Sharp, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLP_Techno /forum/post/12875887


I've had one for 3 days and so far im satisfied with it, but remember that their is no such thing as the PERFECT LCD/HDTV. They all have their little issues, no matter if its Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, Sharp, etc.

I totally understand. I have preached those words many times to others when it comes to making decisions. I really like this model and I am trying to decide if I should pull the trigger now or wait. When you have to spend x amount of dollars on a tv I just want to here from owners. Thank you for your input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrTAPOUT /forum/post/12876327


pull the trigger and throw a grendade with it. Its an amazing tv.

Your not trying to twist my arm are you



Do you really think I will miss my 36"CRT
Not!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts
Well between my sons LNT4071F and my 52" XBR well i love em both but the Motionflow works better than the AMP a bit but not everyone is gonna spend the $$$ for the XBR so in my opinion the 71 is the Best Set overall and hopefully Samsung fixes the issues it has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
i like mine and recommend one as long as you are aware of the potential issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
I've been very satisfied with my purchase. Got it on November 17, 2007 w 2002 FW. I didn't update and won't. Put great source material through it and this set is as good as it gets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regarding this film-ware issue, which version do I need to look for? Does anybody have a list of film-ware that is good and which is bad?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I'm happy with my 5271. Had it about a month now with FW 2002. Don't see the need to upgrade to 2004 at this point but I do have a copy on my hard drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Had the 52" just over a month now and am very happy. Firmware is 2002 and at this time have no thoughts of upgrading to 2004.


Quote:
Regarding this film-ware issue, which version do I need to look for? Does anybody have a list of film-ware that is good and which is bad?

Which firmware you get seems to be crapshoot at this time and as far as I know there is no definite way to tell which you are getting until you plug it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,995 Posts
Yep, love it. The occasional TBE is annoying/amusing, and I know I can get rid of it by upgrading firmware, but I'll wait to see if Samsung offers a more complete solution in the next rev.


Love the color, blacks, 24fps compatibility, and, of course, the 52" of 1920x1080 resolution.


Edit: oh yeah, and the occasional use of AMP on certain sources is just fantabulous.


shinksma
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma /forum/post/12878430


Love the color, blacks, 24fps compatibility, and, of course, the 52" of 1920x1080 resolution.

shinksma


What is 24fps mean? Also back to the film-ware issue, do I need to shoot for at least 2002fw? Would anything older be bad? If I do get an older version should I only update to 2002fw. And am I am I able to do the upgrade myself?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t /forum/post/12878486


What is 24fps mean? Also back to the film-ware issue, do I need to shoot for at least 2002fw? Would anything older be bad? If I do get an older version should I only update to 2002fw. And am I am I able to do the upgrade myself?

Re: 24fps...


This is explained elsewhere is greater detail with more clarity, but here's a quick re-cap, AFAIK, and I might have some details wrong:


24fps is 24 frames per sec (24 Hz rate), the native rate of film, and output by most HD DVDs and Blu Ray players. Regular DVDs displayed on regular TVs (even 1080p ones) are displayed at 60Hz - movies are actually encoded on the DVD at 60Hz, interlaced, for compatibility with what everybody's TV was like in the 90s. Getting from 24 Hz to 60 Hz means the frames get displayed at uneven rates, using what is called 3:2 pulldown. This is undesirable.


If you watch the credits of a DVD, HD DVD or BD on a 60Hz HDTV, you can see the lettering "crawl" up the screen. That is a side effect of the 3:2 pulldown. If the display was displaying at 48Hz or 72 Hz or 120Hz using extra copies of the frames as necessary, the credits would still jerk along at 24 fps, but wouldn't crawl - the jerkiness would be as smooth as possible, if that makes any sense.


The crawling effect is less noticable with DVDs due to the inherent lack of resolution, but it is plain-as-day on HD DVD and BD, if you look for it. You can also see it on slow pans - buildings seem to shimmer for no reason, etc.


North Americans are desensitized to 3:2 pulldown "crawling" or judder because we have been watching films (originally made at 24fps) on our 60 Hz TVs forever. Europeans watch 50Hz TVs, and the conversion from 24fps to 50Hz is done by frame doubling (to 48Hz) and speeding up ever so slightly. Now that I have noticed it, it bugs me, and hence I strive for 24fps bliss at 120Hz.


Using a display (like the Sammy) and player (like a PS3) capable of 24fps (or multiples thereof, thus 120Hz is good) you get even display with 24 source (like BDs).


The Sammy 71 series is 120hz, and displays each frame of a 24 fps source exactly five times (5:5 pulldown). There are some folks who claim that the Sammy does not do this properly, and Samsung has admitted that firmware versions prior to 1013.1/2004 do not do it perfectly, due to the not-quite-AMP-off issue (AMP when set off is actually still on a very low setting, and thus it is not a perfect 5:5 pulldown). But it is pretty-darned-close, in my eyes.


DVDs can still have 3:2 pulldown issues on a 120Hz display, since the 3:2 is hardcoded into the DVD. However, it is possible to reverse the 3:2 pulldown (using inverse telecine) even from DVDs, if the DVD has been encoded properly with frame flags. Whether the Sammy does this, I'm not sure - I've heard the Sony XBR4/5 series does it.


Most 120Hz LCD TVs do not do the 5:5 pulldown properly: they "cheat" by taking the 60Hz signal with 3:2 pulldown, and just doubling every frame, which is pointless, IMHO. The Sony XBR 4/5s, Sammy 71/69 series, and possibly the Toshiba 177 series do it right. There are a few plasmas and lots of projectors that handle it at 72 Hz (or 48 Hz for some?).


Most video-based TV like soap operas and sports are 30fps source, so they look fine at 60Hz (and 120Hz).


As to firmware: I have version 1010, and I'm happy with the set, and will eventually upgrade to 1013.1 or a later version if available. The 71 series thread has made a big deal about trying to find a 200x firmware TV so that you can upgrade to the other current "branch" of version 2004, but I am not wrapped around the axle on the issue.


IMHO, AFAIK, and/or YMMV,


shinksma
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t /forum/post/12875730


Are you happy you bought a LNTxx71f. I'm still deciding if I should pull the trigger.

For what I paid, I'm reasonably happy. If I had paid a higher price, I wouldn't have been as happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t /forum/post/12878486


What is 24fps mean? Also back to the film-ware issue, do I need to shoot for at least 2002fw? Would anything older be bad? If I do get an older version should I only update to 2002fw. And am I am I able to do the upgrade myself?

Just for future reference, so people will definately know what you are saying, it is firmware, not filmware. I love the picture. For today's prices it is probably the best value out there. But as mentioned before, you want to make sure you are aware of the issues. TBE is not a big issue to me, but stutter is, and Vapor is also an annoyance. Get rid of those issues and I will be happy. Well, except for a side cloud I have, lol. But seriously, if you get a cloud free set with 2002 firmware, i think you will be happy. If you get a firmware in the 1xxx range, then you may have problems with stutter, and not be as happy, but hopefully they will fix the set soon. If you get a set with a PA, PB, or PC in the serial number you have a better chance of getting a 2002, but not guaranteed. Stay away from ones with P8 or P9.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad /forum/post/12880242


Just for future reference, so people will definately know what you are saying, it is firmware, not filmware. I love the picture. For today's prices it is probably the best value out there. But as mentioned before, you want to make sure you are aware of the issues. TBE is not a big issue to me, but stutter is, and Vapor is also an annoyance. Get rid of those issues and I will be happy. Well, except for a side cloud I have, lol. But seriously, if you get a cloud free set with 2002 firmware, i think you will be happy. If you get a firmware in the 1xxx range, then you may have problems with stutter, and not be as happy, but hopefully they will fix the set soon. If you get a set with a PA, PB, or PC in the serial number you have a better chance of getting a 2002, but not guaranteed. Stay away from ones with P8 or P9.

Thanks for the input and the correct terminology. I am still a little confused on the firmware versions. I see some say they are happy with firmware 1xxx and might upgrade to 2004 but you say if I get a set with a PA,PB OR PC that I might have a chance at 2002 firmware. I'm am really confused. Can somebody list the firmware versions from oldest to newest to help me understand?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top